Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sunday Salon: Unaccustomed Earth


It is always a little hard to move forward after a great reading week.

I have two books I set aside weeks ago for our San Francisco trip (we leave Tuesday). I was tempted to go ahead and start them today....But, no, I'll put them in my suitcase and save them for the trip. One is nonfiction, an account of the 1906 earthquake. The other is a fiction book that is set in San Francisco. It's The Story of a Marriage and I've been eager to read it ever since I got it in early July.

I'll try to be good....

I also got four books from the library that have been on my wishlist for a long time. I think I'll start the one that is calling me in the loudest voice, Unaccustomed Earth.

8 comments:

  1. I was tempted to grab Unaccustomed Earth from my library the other day (couldn't believe it wasn't checked out), but I was trying to be realistic in what I could actually read in the amount of time I have. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading Unaccustomed Earth a week or so ago and it was AMAZING! I hope you enjoy it, too. Here is the link to my review: http://smallworldreads.blogspot.com
    /2008/07/book-review-unaccustomed-earth.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unaccustomed Earth is absolutely perfect! It's a gift of a book, and I was sad when I finished it because I just wanted it to keep going and going. Lahiri certainly deserves her recent accolades, and I can't wait to see what she does next. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only finished the first story, but I can see already that I will love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting...I am going to look into the book you mentioned. Enjoy your trip to San Fran...my favorite place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm another who really liked Unaccustomed Earth. Each story was so simply and beautifully devastating. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great trip, Debbie. I hope the smoke from all the fires isn't too bad.

    Off to catch-up on your previous posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely loved Unaccustomed Earth! Here's my review. Lahiri is a fantastic writer; if you like this book I highly recommend her earlier collection, Interpreter of Maladies, which won the Pulitzer Prize (and here's my review of that one).

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.