Sunday, July 12, 2009

Nothing

I didn't finish a single book this week.


I received a bookbox in the mail. Here it is. Unopened.


Here is my TBR stack on Monday.


Here is my TBR stack today. Nothing read.

I got notices that books were in at the library. The books are still sitting at the library.

So why such a book-less week? Have I been ill? Away on vacation? Caring for the sick?

No, it was happy news....My son got married!

His sweet bride-to-be and her s-mom have been working on this for months. Cake, flowers, reception hall, dj...slowly everything started to come together.

It's the scary parts you remember, I bet. H lost her engagement ring. J lost his driver's license and you have to have a dl to get a marriage license. Our preacher retired just before H&J were getting married and we couldn't find anyone else to marry them. And H&J wanted to get married outside, at the park, where they had their first date. Outside, mind you, in July, here on the Gulf Coast of Texas. At 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Temps run in the high nineties during July.

And H wanted her dog in the wedding.

Her mom was caring for H's grandpa. Would her mom be able to come to the wedding?

And at 2:30 yesterday, it was pouring down rain.

And where was the music?

The bride?

At five minutes till three, the rain stopped. We wiped down the chairs. There was suddenly a cool breeze and temp dropped ten degrees.

The music arrived.

The bride arrived.

Every chair was filled, and even the bride's mom was able to come.

I've never seen a more perfect wedding.

The bride walked down the path in the park, and she was radiant. J was glowing. J&H exchanged vows, exchanged rings (H's mom gave H a ring from H's g-ma), and a beautiful prayer was said. We all quietly thanked God for everything working out.

And that's why I read nothing this week.

13 comments:

  1. Wow! That was a lot going on. last week. I hope this week is less adventurous but just as great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty good reason not to read anything! Congratulations to your son and his new wife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to the newlyweds! You are so excused for this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes to all! What a lovely reason to skip the books. Happy reading this week then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes life trumps reading - not often, but sometimes. This was one of those times. Our son got married in December. I can relate. And the books will still be there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to the newlyweds.

    That's a lovely box to receive in the mail. I'm green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to the newlyweds! after all of that feel free to take another week off, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun post! Congratulations to the newlyweds, and may you have some nice, quiet reading time next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I loved how everything came together to create such perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to all - what a perfect reason to put the books aside!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh, thank you, guys, for all your sweet congratulatory remarks! I've been floating since the wedding...though I have jumped back into Blue Highways finally!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting! Congrats to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful way to spend a week! Congratulations and I love the photo.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, comments, comments! How I love comments! (And followers, too, if you want to make me even happier!)