Thursday, September 2, 2010

Great Picture Books

I read 42 books today.
Picture books.
Good picture books. Great picture books.


A few weeks ago, I ran across a wonderful meme:  What are the ten books that you, as a teacher, could not teach without? I browsed the lists of the participants and then spent most of an evening requesting picture books from the public library.

Here's a photo selection of those I liked best and can't wait to read with the PreK-2nd graders at my school:










Here's a list:
Chalk by Bill Thomson
All Those Secrets of the World by Jane Yolen
Mouse Views: What the Class Pet Saw by Bruce McMillan
Goal! by Mina Javaherbin
Those Shoes by Maribeth Boelts
Hero Cat by Eileen Spinelli
Whoever You Are by Mem Fox
Because a Little Bug Went Ka-Choo! by Rosetta Stone
The Rainbabies by Laura Krauss Melmed
My People by Langston Hughes
My Little Sister Ate One Hare by Bill Grossman
We Had a Picnic This Sunday Past by Jacqueline Woodson
The Hard-Times Jar by Ethel Footman Smothers
Monkey With a Tool Belt and the Noisy Problem by Curtis Monroe
Animal Colors by Beth Fielding
Woolbur by Leslie Helakoski
Walk On! A Guide for Babies of All Ages by Marla Frazee
Clap Your Hands by Lorinda Bryan Cauley
Tough Cookie by David Wisniewski
The Bugliest Bug by Carol Diggory Shields
Posy by Linda Newbery and Catherine Rayner
One by Kathryn Otoshi

Now I'm off to order these for my own school library! Thank you, Read and Refine and Enjoy and Embrace Learning for this wonderful meme!

2 comments:

  1. You are welcome, we are so glad you joined us now and shared your findings. It's wonderful to know our little idea has brought people together through sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be trying these books out with real live kids in the next few days. Thank all of you who offered up suggestions.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.