Sunday, February 13, 2011

Indie Lit Awards Announced!

I love nonfiction.

(Don't misunderstand me; I love fiction, too. But I love nonfiction.)

I was happy this year, then, to serve on not one but
two nonfiction book judging panels.
One was for children's nonfiction picture books (Cybils) and

The Cybils finalists are here.
The Cybils Awards will be announced tomorrow.

The 2010 Short List for Non-Fiction
was selected earlier in the year:


■The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

■The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson


■Let’s Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell


■Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff


■At Home by Bill Bryson

And now...the envelope, please....

The winner of the Independent Literary Award for Non-Fiction for 2010 is...


The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson!



What do you think? Did you read this title?
Do you have other nonfiction
favorites from 2010?

For a complete list of Indie Lit Award winners for 2010, visit the website.

10 comments:

  1. Great news! I didn't read an awful lot of non-fiction last year, even though I love it. I'll try to do better this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing my reading lists have been lacking in the last couple of years is nonfiction. Thanks for posting some great recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these. However, last night I did finish what I thought was the best nonfiction book I've read in a long time: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It truly was amazing, but if you read it and don't like it, don't blame me. We might not always see things the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these but recently downloaded Henrietta Lacks and can't wait to listen to it. Reminds me I should check to see if my library has Bill Bryson on audio. I've heard he's great to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got "The Warmth of Other Suns" on hold at the library. It is on top of my list when I finish the TBR Dare. I agree, nonfiction is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may be surprised about this, unfinishedperson, but I, too, loved Unbroken. I've asked that the deadline for nominating books be extended so as to I clued books like Unbroken that were published late in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard a lot about both The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and Cleopatra. I hadn't heard of The Warmth of Other Suns. I'm going to take a look at it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Cleopatra, it was a bit of a tough read but I learned a lot and liked the book.

    Here is my review: http://manoflabook.com/wp/?p=1244

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two favorite nonfiction reads from 2010 for me were In the Shadow of Freedom written by a man who escaped from the Congo as a young adult during their civil war and The Boy: A Holocaust Story.
    I also read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and liked it but didn't love it; have not read The Warmth of Other Suns but its on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I listened to some of At Home on audio and have The Immortal LIfe of.... on hold for at my library. Good list.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.