Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Top Ten Best Debut Books

In no particular order....


For many years after reading Durable Goods by Elizabeth Berg,
I eager awaited new Berg books, though
I've been disappointed with the last couple of reads.


In contrast, I loved Stephen L. Carter's
brilliant first book Civility, but
I never liked anything else.

Operating Instructions wasn't Anne Lamott's first book,
but it was her first nonfiction book and it took my breath away.
I still love her nonfiction and
shy away from her fiction.


The Lightning Thief was not Rick Riordan's first book either,
but it was his first children's novel and the first book of his that I had read.
I love his kids' books. Not so much the grownup mysteries.


Apparently I will never read Tracy Kidder's first book,
The Road to Yuba City. Kidder hated it so much
that he bought the rights to it,
saying he did not want it to "see the light of day."
I've loved everything else he has ever written, however,
including my current read, Home Town.


I was crazy about the first Douglas Adams book,
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
I just acquired the Dirk Gently series.
Hope I like it as much.


I was crazy about Amy Krouse Rosenthal's debut book.
I went on to love all of her children's books, too.


Not only did my love for this debut novel of Wally Lamb
send me off in search of more Wally Lamb works,
but it also sent me off in search of more Oprah novels.


Can a book be your debut novel if it's your only novel?
In any case, GWTW is fantastic.


Pirsig's debut book changed the way
I see the world. In a good way.
I liked it so much that I wrote Pirsig
my first and only letter-to-the-author.

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

14 comments:

  1. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and She's Come Undone were such wonderful books. My sister loved The Lightning Thief - I might read it soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about Berg. GWTW also made my list - could you imagine if she had written another novel? I wonder if it would be amazing or if you just can't top GWTW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's Come Undone was amazing. Unfortunately it is the only Lamb book I've read, even though I have his others on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love reading your lists. They're always obviously thoughtful and inspired. A mix of new and familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad that I've only heard of some of these books and never read any of them! But, this is why I love Top Ten Tuesday; I can find more books to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see that as usual, we have a lot of the same books in common. I agree about Lamott. I love her non-fiction but I refuse to read her fiction. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and She's Come Undone are two excellent reads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! What an amazing book and an interesting "trilogy".

    ReplyDelete
  8. The majority of the books on your list have really stood the test of time. Bravo!

    -Anne
    My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your list of books - The Hitcher's Guide to the Galaxy is definitely one to re-visit, and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is one to add to the reading list - I have seen it before in bookstores, but now I am inspired to hunt down a copy and actually read it, thx!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've actually never read ZAMM. I started it once, but I was way too young (ninth grade maybe?). It was while I was going through a phase of loving books like Bach's Illusions and The Alchemist. Someday I'll try it again. I just picked up a new copy (my old one was coverless) at a thrift store.

    The only book I've read on your list is She's Come Undone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lightning thief is of course, amazing and i luvd it :D still need to read gone with the wind thou...thanx for dropping by my blog and happy reading! new follower btw :D

    Rabiah @ Confessions of a Readaholic

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for stopping by! I loved "The Lightening Thief" and "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" too. I, unfortunately, haven't been able to get into Elizabeth Berg (I tried two of her titles) and Wally Lamb (I tried "She Comes Undone" twice and couldn't finish it).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, so I haven't read a single book on your list, but some of them sound really good! Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.