Monday, August 22, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?




WHAT I'M READING TODAY

It's Monday and I'm finishing up The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distractions. I wish I was getting more pleasure out of reading this book. Perhaps it is all the distractions causing the trouble....Oh well, more later....


WHAT I MIGHT READ NEXT

I'm contemplating reading one of a rather diverse list of possibilities. Please help me here. What would you read next?




WHAT I FINISHED THIS WEEK

The Slightly True Story of Cedar B. Hartley (Who Planned to Live An Unusual Life) by Martine Murray

What’s the most difficult part of life when you are a teen or a near-teen? One of the toughest parts has to be trying to figure out how much to blend and how much to be yourself at the same time that the world is telling you to blend, blend, blend. Cedar doesn’t really do blending.

What Cedar does do is people. Cedar has a green thumb for people. One of her friends tells her this, to Cedar’s delight. And thank goodness for that green thumb....more


Across Many Mountains: A Tibetan Family’s Epic Journey from Oppression to Freedom by Yangzom Brauen

The back cover of this book says that the first printing of this book will be 100,000 copies.

My response is, Really? One hundred thousand copies?...more



Emily, Alone by Stewart O’Nan

Before you are allowed to post a review of this novel, I’m going to have to ask you to present an official id. An official id with your dob on it. I’m sorry, but I just don’t think a person under fifty can really appreciate this book and I’m not sure those of you under fifty would have the patience to read a book where the biggest plot points are repairing a scratch on a new car....more


The Arrival by Shaun Tan

A wordless graphic novel, The Arrival is the story of a man who leaves his family to work in the big city of a foreign land. The pictures show a place both familiar and strange, people both familiar and strange...more



So, how about you?  What are you reading today?  What did you finish last week?  What are you thinking about reading next?




Don't forget to enter

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares!

(This is open to bloggers internationally!)


It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between! D This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from!

I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! As part of this weekly meme Book Journey loves to encourage you all to go and visit the others participating in this meme. Book Journey offers a weekly contest for those who visit 10 or more of the Monday Meme participants and leave a comment telling me how many you visited.

22 comments:

  1. Not familiar with those books! Hope you enjoy your reads to come! Happy Reading!

    Here's my Monday wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite fancy reading When Will There Be Good News. I read Emotionally Weird by the same author and liked it. I didn't love it but then it isn't supposed to be her best book. Would be interesting to read one of her others. Interesting list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd read State of Wonder if I were you - I loved it. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'When Will There Be Good News' is a great read! I really loved it. I enjoy all of her books and love the character of Jackson and how she intersects different people into the same events.

    Check out my It's Monday post too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of your upcoming books, but have heard good things about State of Wonder

    ReplyDelete
  6. Across Many Mountains and The Arrival are books I'd love to read, as I would the Ann Patchett and the Kate Atkinson books. They all look good. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love The Arrival...what a phenomenal book! Have a great week and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're kidding, right? As if there's actually a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved When Will There Be Good News? When I finished, I realized there were other books with Jackson Brodie, and then had to read them. In fact, I still have more to read!

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was excited about Across Many Mountains until I read your review on Goodreads. Guess I'll skip it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read Emily Alone before. I felt bad at times reading it. It made me want to call my grandma.

    http://deadtreesandsilverscreens.blogspot.com/2011/08/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-aug-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so curious about The Arrival. Would you say it's suitable for 9-10 year olds?

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, go to State fo Wonder as quickly as you can. I loved this book very very much. Here is my review:
    http://wordsandpeace.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/bell-canto-and-state-of-wonder/
    Emma @ Words And Peace

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd read The Wild Hog Murders just so I could look at the cover regularly, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm...so which one would you choose, Bill? ;->

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sam, I'd say The Arrival is perfectly fine for a 9-10 year old (there's nothing in the story that would upset a concerned parent) but it might be a difficult "read" (it's a wordless book) for a child of that age. It would be an interesting book for an adult and child to talk through....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard a lot of great things about State of Wonder, so I'd probably grab that one next.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd read the Atkinson book only because I've been dying to read one of hers. Whatever you decide on, I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for visiting NotJustReading. I think I'd go for the Ann Patchett next :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved State of Wonder. Ann Patchett's one of my favorite authors! Also The Arrival is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.