Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunday Salon: Wanna Be 25% Happier?



Practicing gratitude can make you 25% happier,
according to research conducted
by Dr. Robert A. Emmons.

I would love to be 25% happier today.

So, here goes...
This week I am grateful for...


(1) I finished six books this week!
The Saturday Big Tent Wedding by Alexander McCall Smith
The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta
Horoscopes for the Dead by Billy Collins
With by Skye Jethani
Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park




(2) I received this beautiful handmade book
from James Chester of Ready When You Are, C.B.
in the mail!





(3) I was awarded the Liebster Blog Award this week
from the wonderful Carol of Books in the Burbs.
I've been lucky enough to meet Carol in real life.
Carol wrote about me this week:
"She is as friendly and charming in person
as she is on her blog."
Awww! Made my day.


(4)  And...I've now read 30% of War and Peace!
That's 432 pages read.
Only 1,008 pages to go!!


How about you?
What bookish things are you grateful for today?



Don't forget to enter

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares!

(This is open to bloggers internationally!)



What is the Sunday Salon?
Imagine some university library's vast reading room.
It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in.
They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,
and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go.
Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and
compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....



That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual.
Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon
get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read.
And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs.
Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon,
an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities
 and fall into a good book. 
Click here to join the Salon.


15 comments:

  1. Oh wow, you're reading War and Peace? Wow. I'm in awe of you, I couldn't get past a page of that!

    ComaCalm's IMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grateful for having recently made a fairly large dent in my TBR pile :)

    I am very curious to see what you thought of The Leftovers...I liked Perotta's other books, and I have an ARC of Leftovers that I have been saving but wont' be able to resist starting much longer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I forgot to add the links to my reviews, TheBookGirl. I'll do that now. Here's the direct link to my review of The Leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that reminds me that I must do my Liebster Blog Award post, too! That was a treat to receive, wasn't it? Congrats!

    I like the theory about gratitude producing happiness...I believe that.

    I see you have The Leftovers, and I'm drooling here. Mine will arrive soon on my Kindle.

    Enjoy your reading!

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, hope my little book can be of good use to you. Nice to see it here. I've more if you fill it up an need another. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was very rewarded by reading The Bird Sisters by Rebecca Rasmussen. It was just one of those books that I completely connected with.

    I went online and ordered just one book and it wasn't for me. Somehow that made me feel less selfish.

    It's my birthday this week and there is sure to be at least one B&N gift certificate in my presents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am grateful for my morning walk along the empty beach this morning, the plethora of books on my TBR shelves, and the day ahead that has no concrete plans

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Lots of reading this week! Wish I could say the same! I'm grateful, with a very tongue-in-cheek type of way, for Karl Marx's Capital I started the third volume this week, and I'm grateful it's the last volume because my brain is shot!

    War and Peace is one of my favorite books of all time! Such a well written book! I sure hope you're enjoying it! Here's my Sunday post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I can not beleive that you're reading War and Peace. I commend you, because I just don't know if I could do it!

    Congrats on your blog award! I nominated Carol, so I love to see the love being spread!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am super impressed with your reading accomplishments! I'm grateful that my colleague bought me a book of short stories for my last day of work. He knows me so well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had a great week! In the last 4 or 5 years, I've made an effort to have a more positive outlook and I have to say it does make a difference in my happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am grateful for the piles of great books that I have yet to read. Sometimes they overwhelm me, so I should probably show them some gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you had a great week! I'm grateful for buckets of blueberries cleaned and stored in my freezer. :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.