Thursday, January 17, 2013

Book Around the States Challenge

 50 states of mind

ALABAMA   Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
ALASKA   The Blue Bear by Lynn Schooler
ARIZONA   These is My Words by Nancy E. Turner
ARKANSAS   I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
CALIFORNIA   The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
COLORADO   The Moved-Outers by Florence Crannell Means
CONNECTICUT   Last Night at the Red Lobster by Stewart O'Nan
DELAWARE
DC   The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin
FLORIDA   Strawberry Girl by Lois Lensky 
GEORGIA    Praying for Sheetrock by Melissa Fay Greene
HAWAII    Hawaii by James A. Michener
IDAHO   Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson
ILLINOIS   A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck
INDIANA   A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel
IOWA   The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson
KANSAS   Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan 
KENTUCKY  Gabriel's Horses by Alison Hart
LOUISIANA   Zetoun by Dave Eggers
MAINE  Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
MARYLAND   The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler
MASSACHUSETTS   Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
MICHIGAN   Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
MINNESOTA   Main Street by Sinclair Lewis
MISSISSIPPI   Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred S. Taylor
MISSOURI   The Trouble Begins at 8 by Sid Fleischman 
MONTANA   Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Lawson
NEBRASKA   My Antonia by Willa Cather
NEVADA   Roughing It by Mark Twain
NEW HAMPSHIRE   Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve
NEW JERSEY  One for the Money by Janet Evanovich
NEW MEXICO  ...And Now Miguel by Joseph Krumgold 
NEW YORK   The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
NORTH CAROLINA   Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
NORTH DAKOTA
OHIO   The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio by Terry Ryan
OKLAHOMA   Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
OREGON   Children on the Oregon Trail by An Rutgers van der Loeff
PENNSYLVANIA    An American Plague by Jim Murphy
RHODE ISLAND
SOUTH CAROLINA   Scratch Beginnings by Adam Shepard
SOUTH DAKOTA
TENNESSEE  
TEXAS   Holes by Louis Sachar
UTAH   Refuge by Terry Tempest Williams
VERMONT   The Secret History by Donna Tartt
VIRGINIA   Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
WASHINGTON   The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
WEST VIRGINIA    M.C. Higgins the Great by Virginia Hamilton
WISCONSIN   Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Brink Ryrie
WYOMING
This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited states map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.
Make your Book Around the States mapJavaScript charts

8 comments:

  1. I've been working on this perpetual challenge for several years now. I seem to be stuck. I could use recommendations for the remaining states, if anyone has suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought about doing this challenge. Sorry I don't have any suggestions.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Rolvaag's "Giants in the Earth" would work for South Dakota.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I just thought of one for Wyoming! An Unfinished Life by Mark Spragg. Excellent book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing this challenge, by order of State. so my 1st is Delaware, and I see you don't have a title. you could try this one: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7701730-flesh-and-grass
    I contacted the author thru Goodreads, and she sent it to me as a free ebook! You could give it a try. I have not yet started it

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a blast. I am definitely hopping over to check this one out. Thanks for the heads up. I look forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For Tennesse, "A Summons to Memphis" won the Pulitzer Prize. Or for something a little more brain candy, "The Firm" by John Grisham was set in Tennessee.
    For Rhode Island, "The Witches of Eastwick" by John Updike was set in Eastwick, Rhode Island.
    Love Medecine is set in North Dakota on the Turtle Mountain Indian reservation.
    This looks like fun. HOpe you've enjoyed visiting all the states.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.