Sunday, July 12, 2015

Lists of Note, Lone Star, Troy, and In the Kingdom of Ice






What I Read Last Week

 
It doesn’t get better than this: a collection of memorable and not-so-memorable lists, clever and pedestrian lists, surprising and poignant lists from the famous and the infamous. I lingered over these lists for days on my first read and then turned back to the front and reread my favorite lists. Here are some you must take a look at: a list scribbled by JFK’s secretary of possible suspects in his murder...fifty suggestions for the names of the seven dwarves...Sir Isaac Newton’s list of sins he has committed...Marilyn Monroe’s list of dream lovers….Oh, you must read Lists of Note.

Lone Star is seven hundred sixty-seven pages of fascinating stories about Texas. It’s all here---the original peoples, the Spanish explorers, the Mexican settlers, the American settlers, the wars, and Texas as part of Mexico, Texas as an independent nation, and Texas as part of the United States. As I read along, I kept thinking how much reading these stories explains a lot about the way Texas is now---the conflicts on the border today mirroring conflicts on the border many years ago, the desire of Texans to be independent of a central government, the way the rainfall on the land has shaped the agriculture and ranching of the state. A compelling read.

I started out a little hesitant about Troy. I wasn't sure what I thought about the oh-so-human gods popping into the story, but it gradually wore on me until I really began to love this feature of the book. The characters (Helen, Paris, Hector, Aphrodite, Eros) are mostly familiar to me, though I'm not sure if some of the young people (Marpessa? Xanthe? Alastor?) were present in the original story. It's all well done, I think. The almost-Shakespearean romantic mixups between Marpessa and Alastor and Iason and Xanthe and Polyxena are intriguing and sad and tragic (I don't remember that being part of the original story either, but I could be mistaken) and the ongoing story of the Trojan War is riving. I think I like best how characters suddenly fall in love or act erratically and it's all because of the gods' interferences...certainly would be a good explanation for me for some of the crazy behavior I see in our world. Troy is a story that has been told and retold for centuries and I believe modern readers will love this modern adaptation of the classic tale.

Is The Kingdom of Ice the best nonfiction you've read this year? you ask.

It just might be.

But how can that be? you continue. Didn’t you also read the amazing Dead Wake? And Being Mortal?

Yes. And yes.

You prod me, You just can’t leave it at that. Tell me more.

Kingdom of Ice is the incredible true story of some of the bravest men who ever lived, men who tried to take a ship to the North Pole in the 1870’s, get trapped in the ice, have to abandon their ship when the vessel sinks, and attempt to travel over sea and land to Siberia in one of the coldest places on earth.

Yes, you say. I see. Now that’s a story.

Yes. That’s a story.




What Arrived in the Mail

Oh happy day! Rising Strong, the new book by Brene Brown! Woo hoo!

                     




What are you reading today?!






And I hope you'll stop by and throw your name in the hat
to win a finished hardback of Eight Hundred Grapes 
along with a clever little EHG coffee mug. 
Stop by here to win!





What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week.  It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.


21 comments:

  1. I think I need to read Lone Star. And Lists of Note sounds fun and interesting. You've had some good reading lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a fellow Texan, I'm pretty sure you'd like Lone Star. And I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't find something to love in Lists of Note.

      Delete
  2. Lists of Note sounds delightful. I will try to find a copy this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to receive a copy of it from the publisher. It was on my wish list.

      Delete
  3. Lists of Note sounds so unique....enjoy your week, and thanks for sharing.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lists. Even used a website called listography for a while. Only reason I still don't use is they're still working on an Android app after a few years. If they ever get it back, I'll return to it...and add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lists of Lists definitely sounds like my kind of book! SO many great nonfiction choices, too... I loved Being Mortal, but have all of the others on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our book group is discussing Being Mortal next week. Can't wait.

      Delete
  6. Love the sound of the list book- and the book on Texas too. It would be nice to get more insight into those issue- I love history too. Hope your weekend is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to find out more about the place you live.

      Delete
  7. I'm keen to hear about the Brene Brown. I've never read any of her work but love her podcasts and TED talks etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the Kingdom of Ice sounds pretty amazing. I'm not a big non-fiction reader, but that one sounds like it would be just as exciting as any fiction book!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  9. Troy sounds really good! I love mythology!! Have you read The Song of Achilles by any chance? It is absolutely amazing! Definitely re-readable! I hope you have a great week!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some amazing books there, I love the look of In The Kingdom of Ice, will check it out!

    Have a great week!

    Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the Kingdom of Ice sounds right up my alley. Years ago, I devoured all the Shackleton books and this one sounds a lot like those. Trapped in ice ... going overland -- I must get to it. I also need to get to Dead Wake. Which one is better? hmmm

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.