Sunday, November 8, 2015

Stillness, Silence, Nonsense, and Big Magic





What I Read Last Week


     After all the gloriously happy drama of last week (my birthday...a little flooding...and the arrival of my beautiful granddaughter), this week I had a reading week. November is my Birthday Book Club month and my first two birthday books, The Art of Stillness and Silence, arrived. Perfect. My son and his family moved into their own home last week and our house is now...well, still and silent, and I soaked it up. I jumped right into The Art of Stillness, a little sixty-six page TED book. I followed it up with Thich Nhat Hanh's Silence, subtitled The Power of Quiet in a World Full of Noise. Just reading these two books reminded me of the importance of taking time to sit in silence and stillness, and so I did.  I also finished off Nonsense, an exploration of how powerful it can be to not-know, which sounds a little out-there and, of course, it is, and it's full of wonderful paradoxes that will zing your brain one-two, one-two. Finally I read through the last couple of chapters of Big Magic, which will slay every silly illusion you have about creativity and well done, I say....It's about time creativity was looked at clearly and boldly instead of from bowed eyes, lying prone at its feet. 

     And I read 55 more Cybils fiction picture books. That should be my last huge week of reading for the Cybils. Now I have to wait for the books to arrive in the mail or at my five public library systems, one by one. That brings me up to 192 Cybils read out of 253. I'm quite happy with that. Next week at school, I'll be trying them out with the 700 children at my school. I don't know when I've read more wonderfully surprising Cybils and I can't wait to see what the children think.

     I must share a photo of my first grand-child, Annie; it seems that I can't stop myself from doing that these days. But I know you want to see her, don't you? 

      

My Annie
           




What Arrived Last Week



Don't these look good?


I've just started my latest 1001 Children's Book You Must Read, Noughts & Crosses. Quite promising.
           





What are you reading today?!





What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

21 comments:

  1. Yes, we do want to see her, absolutely. :) Thanks for sharing the photo.

    I'll have to look for both the Pico Iyer book and the book on silence. They both sound like they'd be up my alley and probably short if I remember those authors correctly.

    As for what I'm reading, right now, nothing, but later in the week, maybe. Haven't decided on what yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first grandchild! How wonderful! Enjoy every moment with her. And I'm reading a Christmas mystery--Not a Creature Was Stirring. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie is a darling! What a sweet picture and I love the name. Anne or Anna was easily in my top 5 when we were debating names for the Tornado. I've been curious about Big Magic and what she has to say so I'll have to look for it. Enjoy your silence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable Annie! Enjoy...before you know it, she'll be a teenager...LOL.

    I say that because it seems like yesterday when my grandkids were that age, and now they range from 13 to 20 in age.

    Of course, now they are a different kind of fun.

    I like what you said about creativity: "It's about time creativity was looked at clearly and boldly instead of from bowed eyes, lying prone at its feet. "

    Enjoy all your reading...and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ANNIE? Love the name. What a doll. I am liking the idea of sitting in silence. I think I will check out the TED booklet. You commented you wished you knew more about Printz books but I bet you know way more about Caldecott and Cybils than me. You work with the little guys I work with the big kids. It is a matter of perspective. My Sunday Salon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your grand daughter is so cute!! I have been meaning to read Big Magic maybe I will get some book money for Christmas *crosses fingers* I am reading a ARC that is way overdue but whatever it is called Every Bitter Thing Is Sweet. I am not sure what I think about it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea what a Cybil is - in book form anyway.
    And congratulations on the peace and quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandchildren are the best. Congratulation! Granddaughters are indeed very special. I have 3 and 2 step-granddaughters. I'm lots older than you, mine are 30, 27,25,25 and 22. Miss those baby times, now I'm getting great grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obviously we want to see Annie! Congratulations, how wonderful! All four of the books you've highlighted sound good....writing down titles. I love books on creativity, so I might start with The Big Magic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course we want to see Annie!!! What a sweetie :)

    Today I finished Between the World and Me on audio... so, so good! I'm also reading The Last Chronicle of Barset by Anthony Trollope, who is always wonderful, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to you and your family on the arrival of Annie! She's SO gonna get spoiled by this grandma I can tell!

    A busy week last week but some interesting (and thought provoking!) reads there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES of course we want to see Annie, thanks for sharing, she's adorable! I've heard such good things about Big Magic, it's on my wishlist. Have a wonderful week, happy reading and cuddling lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photo of your daughter. The Art of Stillness looks good. :) Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course we want to see baby Annie! She's beautiful!

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, Annie looks like a little treasure - of course you'll want to be showing her off as proud grandma!

    It seems like your past reads really befit your time and place in life last week. And they seemed like insightful reads too.

    I read the Noughts And Crosses series closer to when it was released and I can see why it made the list you picked it off of. For me it was one of the first 'dystopian' reads and leaves you thinking. Happy reading!

    Reading With Jade

    ReplyDelete
  16. Annie is adorable!! Look at her sweet little face. Congrats to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the books you have been reading, I love silence! Annie is so adorable and is going to fill your heart with ongoing joy from the time she began. I love children's sense of play and watching them grow into themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your granddaughter - and happy birthday! Hope you have an awesome week. Your books all sound interesting to me- I think silence is underrated sometimes. It's good to have a little now and then, amidst the chaos of life ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Annie is a beauty and so stylishly outfitted in those cute mitts, onesie, and blanket. You have read some interesting books this week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Annie is adorable....I love seeing photos of her.

    Another good week for you.

    ENJOY!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh these look good! I like Pico Iyer and I was curious if the Liz Gilbert book was any good. What a beautiful granddaughter. hooray!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.