Sunday, September 25, 2016

Nothing But Picture Books and Could I Have Zika?


What I Read Last Week
(Subtitled Nothing But Picture Books)

Hey, That's My Monster!

Ethan's little sister keeps getting out of bed to play, 
so Ethan's monster feels compelled to scare her into getting to sleep.

It's another scary
...more


My Grandparents Love Me

Some books just scream, "Gift book!" 
My Grandparents Love Me is one of these. 
The story is filled with all the wonderful experiences that...more


Creation by Cynthia Rylant

Are there more beautiful words than the story of creation? 
Could they be more beautifully illustrated than with the simple paintings Rylant made...more


 Be the Change: A Grandfather Gandhi Story

No, of course, it didn't take me (almost) a month to read this book, 
as you might surmise from my Goodreads info; 
I simply wanted to continue to have...more



What I'm Reading Now
 The Train to Crystal City: FDR's Secret Prisoner Exchange Program and 
America's Only Family Interment Camp During World War II by Jan Jarboe Russell

Here I Am: A Novel by Jonathan Safran Foer


Could I Have Zika?
I've had a painful ache in my arm for weeks now, almost like flu. I ended up going to have a massage, my first, this week, and the symptoms were completely gone when I left the massage workspace. As the massage therapist warned me, however, the symptoms recurred the next day, and so I am again feeling like my arm has the flu. What is at the root of this? Did I strain my muscle? Is it the flu, but restricted to one arm? Could it be zika? Oh my. Just wish I'd feel better.



What are you reading today?


What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

34 comments:

  1. That Turtle on Creation is so adorable! I haven't been reading children's books much lately, but I do love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about to go into Heavy Fiction Picture Book Reading mode, so I suppose this week is good prep.

      Delete
  2. Aww those children's books look so cute! I've been looking for some new ones for my daughter. She loves books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your arm ache subsides. Sometimes these little aches and pains come from something we're doing, something we're unaware of. Maybe you need a regular massage, since you may be overdoing something or other. Here's hoping you feel better.

    Hey, here's where that Fairy Godmother would come in handy!

    Enjoy your books...I am curious about Here I Am.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a thought: Fairy Godmother who is also a masseuse!

      Delete
  4. I hope you feel better soon and are able to figure out the cause of your arm pain. I've started going to a massage therapist once a month to help with recurring pain in my neck, shoulders and back. It definitely helps but the therapist said it will take awhile to see results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My massage therapist said I needed to come back this week and she could completely fix me. I hope so!

      Delete
  5. The picture books look wonderful and I'll be curious to hear what you think of The Train to Crystal City. It's already on my wish list. Sorry to hear about the muscle aches... hope you feel better this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about sixty pages into Crystal City, and it's not a pretty story. I try to keep reminding myself that we were in a war and things were different....

      Delete
  6. The train to crystal city sounds really interesting. Hope your arm feels better soon. Did you have a shot or anything? If not likely a strain or muscle I would think...not that I have any medical training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No shot recently. I just wish I knew it was slowly getting better. It just seems to go on and on.

      Delete
  7. Hope your arm feels better and it goes away soon. It's always hard when an unexplained pain persists.

    Hey, That's My Monster looks cute and so does Creation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's certainly the first thing I heard when I saw My Grandparents Love Me: "gift book!" Yup, six copies please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I hope you feel 100% soon!

    Of course, I'm going to add all of these children's books to my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you're feeling better soon... perhaps you could visit your doctor if it's hanging around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a doctor person, but I will go if it doesn't clear up soon.

      Delete
  11. Sorry about the pain in your arm, hope you figure it out soon. Love the My Grandparents Love Me Book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those picture books all look adorable! I'd like to read "The Train to Crystal City" -- maybe I'll get to it during Nonfiction November. I seem to stockpile non-fiction books on my to-read list at a ridiculous rate and then only read a few a year. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the opposite. I tend to stockpile fiction and then only read a few a year.

      Delete
  13. Oh gosh Debs - hope your arm gets over the flu soon.... Seriously - hope you get it sorted out. Both your current reads draw my attention - will keep an eye out. Hope you will have a good week and happy reading! Here's my It's Monday: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deb, I'm sorry to hear about your arm. I have a recurring pain in my left arm similar to yours that flares up when I crochet or hold a book in the same position for too long. Massage and gentle stretching exercises have helped.

    These picture books all look so cute! Sometimes I'm sorry I don't know any kids I can give picture books too. All my friends' kids are too "grown up" for such books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your arm sounds like a pinched nerve. Probably in the shoulder, neck or elbow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to Google that and see if they offer any solutions.

      Delete
  16. Hey That's My Monster is so cute - I love those illustrations! So much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. All those picture books look amazing. Oh my your arm sounds painful, hope you find a solution soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope your arm feels better soon. When I started to have that kind of pain, it turned out to be carpel tunnel and I had to give up knitting for over 6 months! I also went to lots of physiotherapy. I hope this isn't it, but maybe it would be preferable than Zika?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, That's My Monster looks really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. There are a couple of great picture book here. Hey, that's my monster looks great. I love picture books with a grandparents theme, so My Grandparents Love Me catches my eye.
    Have a great week :-)
    Amanda @ Mrs B's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, That's My Monster looks like a great picture book, may have to look in to that one. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww - some of these books look awesome. I'm always on the lookout for great books for my little girl and I hope she is picking up the reading bug, just like me!

    I'm not sure I want to introduce her to the thought of monsters under her bed just yet, but the other books look great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I ordered Be the Change for my research project, and still waiting for it. Really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.