Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Books That Should Have Never Been Made into Movies

Why do movie people do it? Why do they take a wonderful book and decide it must be made into a movie? Disappointment is inevitable.

It happens again and again.

I wish I could demonstrate against this. Carry signs and everything. I wish I could make a law against it. Go before Congress. I wish I could find that doing this damaged people and these moviemakers will now have to pay millions and millions of dollars in compensation.

I feel strongly about this, folks.

Here are some movies I will never watch:


How the Grinch Stole Christmas (starring Jim Carrey)


Ender's Game

The Cat in the Hat

The Lightning Thief


Where the Wild Things Are

Dune

I Am Legend

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Pippi Longstocking

A Wrinkle in Time






Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

11 comments:

  1. I love your take on this week. There are definitely some books that should have been left alone. Totally agree with the Grinch and The Cat in the Hat. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the topic that you chose! I haven't seen most of these and I'm perfectly okay with that. :)

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the cartoon version on the Grinch but I refuse to admit that the Jim Carey version exists. I got drug to the Cat in the Hat movie because my kids desperately wanted to see it and afterwards we all admitted it was awful. I do disagree on The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe because I liked how they did that particular adaptation but am completely with you on the rest! Love your take on the topic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very unique take on the topic this week! :-) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you! Dr. Seuss should never be put on a movie screen. The books are magic enough on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll confess, I adore Narnia and actually I did "make" myself read the book prior to watching the film. (Saying "make" because oftentimes I don't read the book first.) I also have a DVD for 'Percy Jackson,' but haven't read the book and I've seen "Ender's Game" without reading the book. I didn't love it though. :)

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you wholeheartedly that some books should never be turned into films. Percy Jackson was certainly one. But i do have to disagree with you about Lion, Witch & the Wardrobe, they did a great job with that, and I actually really like The Grinch, Jim Carey is awesome. But then i've never read the book :/
    Great topic for discussion though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with you and could complete your list (lucky, that we had not TV in my childhood!)
    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  9. Disney is redoing A Wrinkle in Time in 2018 too. I was really hoping for an animated movie, but we will see I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. those books are waaaaaay better than the movies, I have to say..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I often can't resist, but am rarely satisfied. Of these I have seen: Ender's Game (it was ok, but couldn't come close to the power of the book), both Percy Jacksons (some of the lamest adaptations I've seen), Dune (a bit of a mess), the Narnia ones (I actually really liked the first one, hated the 2nd one, and was very disappointed in #3), and Wrinkle (very odd).

    I did absolutely love The Lord of the Rings movies, although the Hobbit ones were a sad disappointment (more isn't always better).

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.