Sunday, November 20, 2016

Neck-Deep in Fiction Picture Books

Reading the Cybils

Yes, this is what it looks like when you attempt to read 253 fiction picture books and board books for the Cybils Award. I wanted to stack all the books up into one huge pile, but I've got them so nicely sorted (ha!) here that I couldn't bear to mess up my organization. I currently have over 150 books checked out from four libraries and I'm steadily acquiring the books I just couldn't find from publishers. I have exactly fifty books left to read and a little less than five weeks to come up with my favorites. This is an incredibly exhausting, incredibly fun adventure.


What Did I Finish This Week?

Of course you mean what did I finish other than the Cybils I'm reading night and day, day and night, right? I'm making steadily progress in all of my nonfiction reads. I finished Everyone Loves Paris and Start Where You Are: A Journal for Self-Exploration. I'm halfway through with my other five reads: Am I Alone Here? Notes on Reading to Live and Living to Read; The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread; How to Travel Without Seeing: Dispatches from the New Latin America; NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity; and White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America. If all goes well, I should finish all of these this week during my time off school.






Week 3: (Nov 14 – 18) – (SarahBook Pairing: 
This week, pair up a nonfiction book with another book.

Now this is exactly what I like to do in my reading. I read one book that leads to another book. That book leads to another book, and so on, and so on.

Here are some of my favorite book trails....
Orphan Train led to Train to Somewhere by Eve Bunting

My Mrs. Brown to Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris to Girl in Dior

Mary Karr's Lit to Almost Catholic

The Sweet Life in Paris to Paris, My Sweet

Julia Child's My Life in France to Bon Appetit: The Delicious Life of Julia Child

I'll be off now to get some reading done!



What are you reading today?


What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

12 comments:

  1. You truly are a reading rock star. Picture books PLUS all those other books? How do you find time with your job too? I've heard about White Trash and probably will read eventually. Right now I'm just not into reading anything too serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love children's picture books, and quite enjoy reading them to my granddaughter. I think the pair of us would quite enjoy the task that you are working on.
    Sharing your book train is a wonderful idea. That happens to me all the time, one book leading to another.
    NeuroTribes is a book that I am interested in reading. I missed the beginning of the read along portion of Nonfiction November, so I took a pass and participated in the rest.
    Have a pleasant remainder of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about White Trash, having just completed Hillbilly Elegy.

    Those trails are interesting...I loved Orphan Train, and read Lit, by Mary Karr a while ago. Which reminds me: I have two more of her memoirs patiently waiting.

    Enjoy your week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Bon Appetit children's book about Julia Child! I've read it a couple of times and plan to share it with my granddaughter, who loves to cook just as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Eve Bunting, always on point with her history and civics related books! Although when I read Orphan Train, it was connected in my mind to some schmaltzy 1970s best-seller that I read in Readers Digest Condensed Book format.

    Your picture book work for Cybils looks wonderful and overwhelming at the same time. I'm nervously awaiting the round 2 nonfiction selection, as I have not read much new NF this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's a lot of awesome books you got there! It's pretty impressive that you managed to check out over 150 books!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you've gotten anything other than the Cybil books read! Very impressive. I hope you enjoyed the experience though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you enjoy My Life in France! I've read a good chunk of it (put it to the side for the time being) and love it. Happy reading!
    My It's Monday! Post
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow reading that many picture books looks Exhausting. I will have to google what the Cybils Award is. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the book trails...I'll have to identify some of the (many) book trails I've been on...

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.