Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Most Unique Books I've Read (Part Deux)

I did what I consider a definitive post about the most unique books I've read back in 2014. But I love unique books, and I can always, always come up with a few more odd books for a unique book list. Here, then, is The Most Unique Books I've Read (Part Deux):


Some Writer! The Story of E. B. White by Melissa Sweet (my review)
Yes, it's the story of the author of Charlotte's Web, written for children, but it's the fascinating mementos from White's life included in the illustrations here that might surprise you.



Songbook by Nick Hornby (my review)
Nick Hornby shares stories of his favorite songs. We passed this book around some years ago, along with a CD of the songs from the book.



The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Of course you know this one. I wonder why so many of the unique books I've read are for children....


The Principles of Uncertainty by Maira Kalman
Maira Kalman is that wonderfully surprising combination of beautiful illustrations along with deeply human philosophy.



Atlas Obscura: An Explorer's Guide to the World's Hidden Wonders by Joshua Foer, Dylan Thuras, and Ella Morton (my review)



Rhoda: A Life in Stories by Ellen Gilchrist (my review)
Not a novel. Not short stories.



Woman: An Intimate Geography by Natalie Angier (my review)
You'd think a woman would know her body. Well, not really.



Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure edited by Smith Magazine (my review)
Yes. Your life in six words. Read these. Then it's your turn.



The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World
One page about every country in the world with all the info you really need to know, especially the most important books from each.



This is Not a Book by Jean Jullien
My most favorite board book this year.



Go Away, Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley
A perfect first scary book.



Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman 
The first graphic novel I read. It's the story of the Nazis (cats) and the Jews (mice). Very powerful.



How to Be Perfect: Poems by Ron Padgett (my review)
Delightfully readable poems.



Touchstone Anthology of Contemporary Creative Nonfiction edited by Lex Williford and Michael Martone (my review)
Every piece unique.





Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.







15 comments:

  1. Maus looks interesting...It might be a graphic novel I actually enjoy! I don't typically. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Travel book looks like a good one to have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know any of these books but I really like the sound of Atlas Obscura <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maus 1 & 2 were awesome books to read!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/04/top-ten-tuesday-my-top-seven-most.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOh nice picks! Have to say they're all new to me except for The Very Hungry Caterpillar!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now i have more in my to-be-read pile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We heard Go Away Green Monster at a library story hour and it was an instant hit. We own the book and there was an app that was interactive that he loved before he could read himself. The Hungry Caterpillar was another favorite and I was surprised what lasting value it has! Great list - lots of unique reads!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I loved reading the Very Hungry Caterpillar!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, all new books to me! So I will check these books out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These all look good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes I think I should just put you in charge of my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some Writer! was a excellent biography - great picks!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow! What a cool list. :) I liked seeing the Very Hungry Caterpillar in there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The book about E.B. White looks really interesting! It's always fun to visit so many different Top Ten Tuesday posts with differing styles because we discover so many new finds. :)

    Thanks so much for making Finding Wonderland one of your stops last week, Deb. :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.