Sunday, July 30, 2017

Wrapping Up Summer: Paris in July and Book-a-Day

In June, summer looks like an ocean of days, floating out on an endless horizon under clear blue skies with a gently warming sun.

It has been a gloriously refreshing summer, but I'm swimming toward shore. School starts for me on August 7th. 

My husband and I are spending this last lovely week on a road trip to Chicago. Our son and his wife live there, and we can't wait to visit with them for a few days. We are also stopping along the way to stay a bit with my brother and his wife. Of course we are planning to do a little rock hunting. 

With the end of my summer, Paris in July is almost over, and so too is my summer book-a-day. 

How did Paris in July and Summer Book-a-Day go, you ask?








I've read twenty-one Paris books in July, and I still might have one or two more to go before Paris in July is over. I decided to also read some of my 1001 Children's Books You Must Read in July, so that's the reason I don't have a Paris Book-a-Day. But don't worry. I've read my 31 books for July, plus my 30 for June, so I have already met my goal to read a book-a-day in the summer. And I pushed my 1001 Children's Book totals over 600 this summer. 

A very satisfying summer read-a-thon, I think.

UPDATE: BABY OLIVER

Thank you for all of your prayers and thoughts for my sister's new grandson, Oliver, born at 25 weeks. He is continuing to grow and get stronger and gain weight at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston. Please pray for little Ollie and his mom and dad and my sister. Here's a tiny video from a few days ago:









What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week.  It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

Please join the weekly meme at An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.

Il est Juillet et il est temps pour le merveilleux Paris in July hosted by Thyme for Tea! (*It is July and it is time for the wonderful Paris in July!)



SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

13 comments:

  1. Impressive reading! And yes, summer flew by. I still sigh for the days when school started in September...but those days are no more, of course.

    I'm glad little Ollie is doing well. Seeing him reminds me of my grandson Aiden, who was in hospital for two months after his birth. He had equipment for apnea and oxygen when he came home. But he grew and thrived...and moved beyond those devices. Now he is almost 15. I am sending positive thoughts.

    Enjoy the rest of your summer and your new school year. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing summer of reading! I thought I'd have more time for my books when I retired, but my days are filled with outdoor activities. Maybe this winter...

    Thanks for keeping us updated on Ollie's progress. He and his family remain in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You sure read a lot of books for the summer and I hope little Ollie is recovering well!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ollie is beautiful, and such a little trooper. Enjoy all of your new additions. Happy reading.

    Jenea's Book Obsession

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Some accomplishment !! You inspire us all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, school starts SO early there! In central NY, we go back after Labor Day. Great job with Paris in July... I'm making notes for titles to read next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'm so relieved to hear about Oliver! I can't imagine all the worry. I love all the Paris books and Geronimo Stilton is a big favorite around here. I somehow missed Eloise as a child but I really need to go back and meet her now. My son starts school on the 2nd and I think the teachers went back sometime last week. They've been doing a huge library remodel this summer so it'll be exciting to see the changes. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The summer is flying by. Enjoy your road trip before school begins again. Come see my week here. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Paris reading is amazing! I'd like to try The People in the Window sometime. It's one I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job with your Paris reading! I too can't believe how early you have to return to school.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good to hear that Ollie is growing. The old place is nearly ready. Meanwhile, we're happily settled in our temporary apartment. Come see what I'm reading

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have fun in Chicago! That is one of my favorite places and I used to visit fairly frequently when my brother lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I send all my positive thoughts & prayers to Ollie. Wow that's a lot of Paris books! I'd like to read the Jojo Moyes book -- I havent seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.