Monday, January 18, 2010

The 2010 ALA Children's Book Award Winners


The announcement of the children's book award winners is always a big day for me. Here are my favorite awards:

The Caldecott Medal ("the most distinguished American picture book"):
"The Lion and the Mouse" illustrated and written by Jerry Pinkney

Caldecott Honors:
"All the World" illustrated by Marla Frazee, written by Liz Garton Scanlon
"Red Sings from Treetops: A Year in Colors" illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski, written by Joyce Sidman


The Newbery Medal ("the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children"):
"When You Reach Me," written by Rebecca Stead

Newbery Honors:
"Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice" written by Phillip Hoose
"The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate" written by Jacqueline Kelly
"Where the Mountain Meets the Moon" written by Grace Lin
"The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg" written by Rodman Philbrick


The Sibert Medal ("the most distinguished informational book published in English"):
"Almost Astronauts: 13 Women Who Dared to Dream" written by Tanya Lee Stone

Sibert Honors:
"The Day-Glo Brothers: The True Story of Bob and Joe Switzer's Bright Ideas and Brand-New Colors" written by Chris Barton, illustrated by Tony Persiani
"Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11" written and illustrated by Brian Floca
"Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice" written by Phillip Hoose


The Belpré Award ("a Latino/Latina writer and illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience"):
"Return to Sender" written by Julie Alvarez (author award)
"Book Fiesta!: Celebrate Children's Day/Book Day; Celebremos El día de los niños/El día de los libros" illustrated by Rafael López, written by Pat Mora (illustrator award)

Belpré Honors:
"Diego: Bigger Than Life" written by Carmen T. Bernier-Grand, illustrated by David Diaz (author and illustrator awards)
"Federico García Lorca" written by Georgina Lázaro, illustrated by Enrique S. Moreiro (author award)
"My Abuelita" illustrated by Yuyi Morales, written by Tony Johnston (illustrator award)
"Gracia Thanks" illustrated by John Parra, written Pat Mora (illustrator award)


The Geisel Award ("the most distinguished American book for beginning readers"):
"Benny and Penny in the Big No-No!" written and illustrated by Geoffrey Hayes

Geisel Honors:
"I Spy Fly Guy!" written and illustrated by Tedd Arnold
"Little Mouse Gets Ready" written and illustrated by Jeff Smith
"Mouse and Mole: Fine Feathered Friends" written and illustrated by Wong Herbert Yee
"Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day" written by Kate McMullan, illustrated by R.W. Alley


So, what do you think?  I've read 8 of the 22. I think I need to get to reading!

For a complete list of all ALA Youth Media Awards:
The ALA 2010 List of Youth Media Awards

For the complete webcast of the presentation of the awards:
The ALA 2010 Youth Media Awards Webcast

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I did not see Coretta Scott King Award winners...Are they announced at this time? Later?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when the awards come out too! I'm definitely going to have to get my hands on a copy of The Lion and the Mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just ordered The Lion and The Mouse for my class, along with the Newbery winner and Capurnia Tate as an Honor Award. I can't wait for them to arrive. I must say, though, I've often been disappointed in the Newbery winners. I don't get the choice of The Graveyard Book at all. My favorite Newbery is Walk Two Moons. I'm almost afraid to read it again because I don't want my memory of it to fade or tarnish.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.