Friday, August 12, 2011

Reading a Jigsaw Puzzle

Book Blogger Hop

It's time for the Book Blogger Hop,
hosted by Crazy-for-Books.com


First, let me introduce myself.
Bonjour! Enchanté! ¡Buenos días!


I am Debnance at Readerbuzz.
I love to read.
I especially love travel memoirs,
children's books, books about happiness, 
creative nonfiction, and literary fiction.


 I'd love to visit your blog. 
If you like, follow me and leave a comment and
I will hop over and follow you.


I also invite you to:
Befriend me at Goodreads.
Follow me at Twitter.
 Befriend me at Facebook


And this week's prompt from the Book Blogger Hop:
“Let’s talk crazy book titles.
Highlight one or two (or as many as you like)
titles in your personal collection that have the most interesting titles.
If you can’t find any, feel free to find one on the internet.”

Here's my response:



The Gold Bug Variations
by Richard Powers

The title is a warning to the casual reader:
"If you don't get the title, or
if you don't want to get the title,
beware."

In The Gold Bug Variations, author Richard Powers perspicaciously composes a novel with themes of puzzles (Edgar Allen Poe's The Gold Bug), music structure (Bach's Goldberg Variations), romance (two love stories that intertwine across twenty-five years), computer technology, art history, and DNA genetic codes. I remember reading this book when it was first published, maybe twenty years ago, feeling like I'd plunged into the deepest and most bewitching lake on earth, hopelessly unable to surface for 638 pages, desperate for a breath of air, powerless to return to the top of the water, smitten with the sparkle of the words all around me, bewildered by the enigmatic story, in awe of the intelligence of the writing.

How about you?  What crazy book titles have you run across?



21 comments:

  1. Hi, just hopping on by. That book sounds fascinating, not one I've heard of before. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting title. I've actually never heard of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of this book but now it might have to get a better spot on the neverending TBR list! Just hopping through!

    Anja @ http://reading2011.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I easily came up with five crazy book titles just by taking a fast look at my bookshelf.

    All five come from the same book series. Can you guess which series it is?

    Here’s a hint – The book series is a trilogy in five parts.

    Hop on over to my blog for the answer – http://www.howardsherman.net

    Howard A. Sherman, Implementor
    Get Inside a Story
    http://www.inthestory.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old follower, hopping through. Interesting to read about the Gold Bug Variations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting picks. Thanks for dropping by my blog today. I shall follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just hopping on through. Thanks for dropping by my blog. I am now a follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious Title! Look at mine!!!

    Happy blog hopping!.

    I read varied genres, have a truly eclectic taste in books. Feel free to explore my blog, browse my reviews. I follow via google reader NOT GFC!

    Here is my Book Blogger Hop/Follow Friday post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love travel as well and have lived in four countries:) Following your blog as part of the blog hop!
    Here's mine:
    http://fansoffiction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your pick is indeed very interesting, and I will check out your giveaway :) And I'm a new follower!

    http://zimlicious.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great title.
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great title but it actually sounds like a good book too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting title. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm a new follower. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!
    Hopping by and thanks for visiting my blog!
    New follower.

    inga from http://www.ingasilbergbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The title sounds like a horror story.
    Visiting via Book Bloggers Hop.
    Already following you. Looks like we are neighbors I live just north of Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your experience reading this book, Deb, sounds a lot like my own in reading CRYPTONOMICON by Neal Stephenson. (If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.) In fact, the story sounds like something Stephenson might have come up with. :)

    Some crazy books titles I've loved:

    MILLARD FILLMORE, MON AMOUR by John Blumenthal.

    THE MAN WHO SMILED by Henning Mankell.

    THE BIG OVER EASY by Jasper Fforde.

    SKULL DUGGERY by Aaron Elkins.

    THEREBY HANGS A TAIL by Spencer Quinn.

    CROCODILE ON THE SANDBANK by Elizabeth Peters.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just hopping by. Those are some funny titles. I like the one about bugs. Here's my hop:
    http://thebucketlist-gn.blogspot.com/2011/08/booking-it-on-friday.html
    Happy reading and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a good pick. I've never heard of it before. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello! I am your newest follower from the Friday Blog Hop. I would love it if you would follow back at one or all of my blogs :)

    www.singleparentretreat.com
    http://singlemamachallenges.blogspot.com/
    www.motherdaughterconnex.com

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.