Sunday, April 10, 2016

Busy, Busy, Busy

If I wasn't reading or reviewing books...

What I Read Last Week

covertitleauthorreview
Lonesome Dove
Look at the title. Take a look at that cover. Read the synopsis of the plot. Nothing about Lonesome Dove appeals to me. Yet I've read its 858 pages...more
Lily and the Octopus
I think it’s best if you read this one for yourself. How do you know it might be a book for you? Take a look at the cover. What do you think?...more
Blame
Patsy is a professor. And she’s a drunk. A serious drunk. So much of a drunk that when she finds herself, yet once again, at the jail, she isn’t shock...more
Every Time I Find the Meaning of Life, They Change It: Wisdom of the Great Philosophers on How to Live
When he was a college student, Daniel Klein began keeping a notebook with quotes from philosophers he liked. Now, at the other end of life, Klein take...more
Why the Whales Came
Gracie and Daniel know they are not to go near the Birdman. But is the Birdman really the dangerous figure others say?

A little story about perception
...more
The Catholic Catalogue: A Field Guide to the Daily Acts That Make Up a Catholic Life
When you join the Catholic Church, there is a long instruction process for the rites and procedures you will be expected to participate in. But what a...more
Grunt: The Curious Science of Humans at War
It takes skill to write a wonderful fiction book. But, to me, the most magnificent writers aren’t those who write fiction but those who take what is...more
The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend
Sometimes I go into reading a book with such big hopes and yet the book can miss when it comes to plot, miss when it comes to characters, and miss...more
Lit Up: One Reporter. Three Schools. Twenty-four Books That Can Change Lives.
We can all agree on this, I think: Our world needs readers. And we are not doing a good job bringing kids to a love for reading.

Denby takes on this
...more
Lonely Planet's Beautiful World
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more beautiful collection of beautiful photos from our beautiful world. Yes, indeed, a beautiful world.
More Than Enough
A family experiences the wonders of Passover in this beautiful children’s picture book, with the theme of Passover, “dayenu”, thankfulness, more than...more
Mister Cleghorn’s Seal
Mister Cleghorn sees an orphan seal on his vacation and brings the seal baby home with him. An if-only story Kerr created based on her father’s real life...more
Platero y yo
It’s hard to write a book review of a book you don’t like (no, let’s be honest)...hate. I almost never finish a book I don’t like. Sometimes, though...more
The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science
(Shhh! I got this book for one reason: how to make the best biscuits in the world. I’ve taken down the relevant info and I plan to try this folding...more 


...I was carrying books in from the mailbox!

What Arrived Last Week

What a week! Look what arrived in my mail box this week:


Old Age: A Beginner's Guide..........Somewhere Among..........The Little Free Library Book


Wee Gallery: Pets..........Wee Gallery: Safari

Cat's Playgroup: A Drawing and Coloring Book..........Dog's Day Out: A Drawing and Coloring Book

The Violet Hour: Great Writers at the End..........Luckiest Girl Alive



I'm also busy preparing for next week's book fair, the Texas Library Association Conference the week after that, Dewey's 24-Hour-Readathon on April 23, and Book Expo America mid-May!


           




What are you reading today?!







What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the look of The Violet Hour...I've enjoyed Katie Roiphe...and her mother, too.

    I guess I should check on Luckiest Girl Alive...I've been ogling it for a while. Thanks for sharing...and enjoy your week. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are busy! So many great books here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, such bookish love here!
    Old Age, a Beginner's Guide is going straight to the top of my TBR list :)
    I'm glad you enjoyed Blame - it was a GREAT first audiobook for me.
    I loved your review of Lit Up and agree --- if teachers are passionate about the books they share in class, then students will be more likely to share in that interest.
    And I thank you for the honest review of The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend... it sounds similar to the review I wrote today for The Rejected Writers' Book Club - so much promise that falls flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize Blame is by the same author as Round Rock, a book I've had on my wish list a long time.

      Delete
  4. Wow! You are amazing! So many reviews and books! My curiosity has made me put Lily and the Octopus on my wish list. I did read a bit of a "spoiler" review and has made me want to read it even more. Thanks for sharing! I remember that Little Bee by Chris Cleave had a similar "mysterious" synopsis, and I picked it up anyway and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somewhere Among sounds very sweet, moving - enjoy Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god, Deb... so many books read last week! That's amazing! And keen to hear what you think of Luckiest Girl Alive - one of your new arrivals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure read a lot last week. I hope you enjoy your books this week too!

    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow on the number of books you read.

    I have Lily and the Octopus but haven't gotten to it yet. A dog book?

    Sorry you didn't like Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend...I know it was a bit far fetched, but I liked it for a light read. :)

    You carried a lot of books into your house. :)

    Great week for you.

    ENJOY this week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read The Luckiest Girl Alive a month or so ago and enjoyed it though know it has mixed reviews. Hope you do to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter would love those cute little coloring books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where to start! So many good looking books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with the book fair. I think The Violet Hour looks very interesting. I need to grab a copy.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.