Sunday, June 12, 2016

If it's Quiet Around Here, Don't Worry About Me...I'm Off to the Wilds of New Mexico

WILDS OF NEW MEXICO
I may be a little quiet this week here on my blog. I'm off to the wilds of New Mexico. It's time for a little rockhunting.

I'm sure that I'm fine. After all, this blog post appeared on Sunday morning, just as it should. Right?

Still...the last time I set out for the wilds, this is what happened to me:


See that huge red blotch on my leg? Scorpion. My husband and I are twenty-five miles off road in the middle of nowhere Oregon, digging for rocks. I look down at my leg and a scorpion is stinging me. No cell phone reception. No people around for miles and miles. Was my husband worried? Nope. The smell of rocks had overcome his good sense and he told me to keep digging. He felt sure everything would be okay.

And, of course, it was.

We've also had flat tires, gotten lost, stepped on a rattlesnake, stepped on a nail, had a deer jump over our car, and almost got eaten by a bear.

I'm sure everything's good this time. 

Say a little prayer for me, if you will.

 
WHAT I'M READING IN NEW MEXICO
What am I reading in New Mexico, you ask? I'm reading Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather, set in New Mexico. We're listening to a Tony Hillerman mystery audiobook, Sacred Clowns, set in New Mexico. We stayed in the Frank Waters room at the Mable Dodge Luhan Lodge in Taos and I was happy to find a Frank Waters book at the Taos Book Gallery, People of the Valley, which was set, of course, in New Mexico. And I brought along Hour of the Bees, a new children's book I picked up at the library conference, which is set in (you guessed it) New Mexico. 


BEST WAY TO START A DAY
I got an e-mail this morning from the wonderful Kathryn at the wonderful blog The Book Date telling me I am the winner at her blog's giveaway! I won a $15 Amazon gift card! Woo hoo! Thank you, Kathryn.



What are you reading today???




What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.



24 comments:

  1. That is a lot of Wild you bump into out there! For the love of pete! Be careful!! I love reading the places I am. My trip t Ireland has me so back logged on things to read. Yay for the score of the gift card!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a great trip... be careful though. Congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not me who takes us into danger; it's my husband. It's driven by the love for rocks.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the blog win! Stay safe in New Mexico and avoid scorpions. Enjoy! Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are driving to our first site of the day. I am definitely going to stay clear of scorpions.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen a scorpion bite before! Fascinating. Are they sore? Itchy? Does it last long? I hope your trip is not quite as adventurous as it has been before. Congratulations on the prize, that's always lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It remained red around the bite for over a month. There was no real swelling or pain but it got me a lot of sympathy that summer.

      Delete
  5. Hmm I think by comparison this one just has to be a quiet boring holiday! Hope you enjoy it all. Enjoy the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes. I will say a couple of big prayers for you. :)

    Hey, Tony Hillerman! Nice. :) Enjoy New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are enjoying your time in New Mexico! It never fails on our family trips either. Something always goes wrong. It's become the running joke. Congratulations on your win! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your adventure is a little less adventurous than your last trip. I am from Oregon and have never seen a scorpion anywhere, even in the desert. Must be a sign of global warming. Have a fun trip.

    My Sunday Salon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people who owned the ranch where we were rock hunting said they'd never seen a scorpion there.

      Delete
  9. Be careful out there! Love your choice of reading to match your location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to match your reading to your vacation plans, I think.

      Delete
  10. I hope your trip goes well and you remain injury free and get some reading done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the win at Book Date! Enjoy your vacation.Good Hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Egads! Take care of that bite. Death Comes for the Archbishop has been on my shelf forever. I need to get to it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have fun on your trip sorry that you got bite. I hope it goes away soon for you. Enjoy your time and your books. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You take care..I love Death Comes for the Archbishop. It is an excellent piece of literature. Instantly, it has become one of my personal favourites meaning it would be read by me for many more times in the future. In short, I will carry it with me as long as I have the ability and sanity to read and understand.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.