Sunday, May 28, 2017

Summer's Here and I'm Headed to NYC!



No, I haven't left yet, but I'm flying out Wednesday. How many books have been made in New York? I'll be breathing in literary air every day there, I think. I hope I can bring a bit of that home with me.

What will I be doing in NYC? Meeting with publishers. Talking to authors. Snapping photos. Taking notes. Officially, I'll be the online media for Armchair BookExpo. With a media badge and everything.

Have you signed up yet for the at-home version of BookExpo? It's not too late. Sign up here.


WHAT ARRIVED THIS WEEK

Two big boxes of books for review, from two wonderful publishers, Bearport and Arte Público Press:





I couldn't help myself; I just had to read and review Una vida con suerte/A Charmed Life and Ghost Ship. I feel confident that these will be books the children at my school library will love.


WHAT I READ THIS WEEK:  BOOK-A-DAY

I continued on my path to read a #bookaday this summer. It was fun to make a wishlist at my public library's Overdrive and, with 387 titles I can download at a moment's notice, I don't think I'll run out of books to read this summer. I read Have You Seen Elephant? and Princess Sophie and the Six Swans, along with the 1963 classic, Summer by Alice Low, as well as Pharrell Williams' Happy (yes, it's just the song, but with wonderful illustrations). I finished a couple of children's New York books and (I swear!) my body is still vibrating from reading The Hate U Give.







WHAT I'M READING NOW

I've got Brooklyn and Alexander Hamilton and D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths and Before We Visit the Goddess and Havana: A Subtrophical Delirium and Salt to the Sea.

Oh I love summer.



What are you reading today? 

What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.









18 comments:

  1. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time at BookExpo; I will miss it this year, but I'm green with envy. Have a great time there and in NYC!!! Report back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a fantastic time in NY; it's such a great city and bookexpo should be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun at Book Expo! I'd love to go sometime...I went once, in 2008, when it was in LA. But that was before I started really blogging...so it was a different kind of experience.

    Thanks for visiting my blog...I think I'll start going gray, like you did...maybe I'll take it in shades of gray or silver, gradually. LOL.

    Enjoy your week! I like the look of The Hate U Give.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your delight is just overflowing here! Hope you have a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a great time in NYC!! I need to read The Hate U Give...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be at Book Expo as well. Grace from Books of Love. If you see me, don't be afraid to say hello. Hope to have a ball.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Great week you had! I really want to read the Hate U Give now!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you'll have a fabulous time in New York and at Book Expo. How fabulous to have a media pass! I also know that you'll achieve your book a day goal, such a fabulous idea. I really want to read The Hate U Give, I haven't heard a bad thing about it. I'm not sure that I've seen it in a shop here though. I'm sure I would have picked it up if I had. Not that I don't have enough reading to go on with in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love summer too! The Hate U Give is high up on my list. Have a fabulous time in New York!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seemed like summer would never get here. I'm happy dancing now. LOL Look at all of those lovely books. I have a Kid's Korner feature where I review children's books and these would be so great for it! Have a blast in NYC and with those fun reads:)

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Hate U Give was SO SO SO good! Probably going to be in my top 5 favorite books for a very, very long time. Have a good time in NYC!


    Hope you have a great week!
    https://daniereadsbooks.wordpress.com/2017/05/28/the-sunday-post-2/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have fun at Book Expo. I'm doing the Armchair version. I love that my library has Overdrive. I listen to audio books at work that way. See what I've read, am reading and will read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm hoping to dig into summer reading but it will have to wait until at least June 10. Although there will be lots and lots of unpacking to do after the 10th, at least I'll be living in only one place. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy is one of my favorite songs; definitely going to check out the book! Have fun in NYC---totally envious of your BookExpo media credentials. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for Book Expo! I'll be there too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All the best for Book Expo - breathe in books!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm 6 of 7 on the holds list for The Hate U Give. I'm getting ready for Armchair BEA this week. Come see what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.