Tuesday, August 18, 2026

SciFi and Fantasy and Other Book Series I Might Like to Read

When I first became a school librarian, I had to play catch up. And fast.

So I read the first book of every series. I wanted to be able to familiarize myself with the books my students were reading. 

This has become a way of reading for me. I read book one. I don't read on.

The truth is that book two is a disappointment. The author carefully worked out book one. Perhaps she never even planned to write book two. Or she wrote book two as a bridge to the far-better book three.

But now I see that I've missed a lot of great books. I'm starting a list of book series I might like to read. 

What would you recommend to me?

Here are a few that have been suggested so far:


Xanth by Piers Anthony. My aunt recommended this.



Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky


The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu


If you have other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.   

17 comments:

  1. I read a lot of Piers Anthony as a teenager, but I think the misogyny would get to me now ... are you looking for fantasy series or only science fiction? I don't have much to recommend of the latter except everything by Ursula K. Le Guin, which you probably know already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, I recommend - The Winternight trilogy, Katherine Arden (even though I haven't read the third book yet!); Temeraire series, Naomi Novik; The Queen's Thief series, Megan Whalen Turner; the Annals of the Western Shore, UK Le Guin; the Darkangel Trilogy, Meredith Ann Pierce; the Graceling series, Kristen Cashore. I think I have a few to catch up on there as well. I've fallen away from fantasy lately, but these were some of my favorites back in the day.

      Delete
  2. First two series look like fantasy which seem popular. Myself I read on Kindle where you can purchase a series very cheaply and tend to read self publishing authors on there like Christopher Nuttall who writes both fantasy and SiFi.
    Other authors are John Walker and joshua dalzelle are very goo but there are so many other authors who are less famous that are good and worth reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very interesting list. I hope you have a lovely week ahead, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Empyrean series but I’m not sure you would if I’m honest, I do think you might enjoy Children of Time from what I know of it.
    Thanks for sharing your #TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read Fourth Wing and Iron Flame and really enjoyed them! Tried reading Onyx Storm but couldn't get into it... might try it on audio :) Happy reading if you start any of these!

    Here's the link to my TTT if you'd like to check it out - https://bookishlyjessie.blog/2026/08/18/top-ten-tuesday-𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤-𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬-𝐈-𝐖𝐚𝐧𝐭/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been curious about Tchaikovsky's Children of Time series. I've read one book by the author and I remember being surprised by how much I enjoyed it despite it being outside of my comfort zone. I hope you enjoy these series whenever you read them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read a number of books in the Piers Anthony series many, many years ago. My husband was the one that recommended those to me. He has been a fantasy book lover since the time he read Tolkien when he was a kid. I will say that I love series because that means the story goes on and on. I also have found that sometimes the first book is slower or longer or whatever due to the fact that we are getting introduced to the characters, etc. Anyway, if you decide to try more series reads, I wish you luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still need to read Fourth Wing as well.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That’s a good ideas as a librarian to read the first in a series! You have too many books to read all of them! ~Carol @ ReadingLadies

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of these series. I like that you read the first one in each series. Sometimes it's too hard to keep up with all the books in a series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am currently reading the Bobiverse series and really loving it! I'd also highly recommend the Rook & Rose series by M.A. Carrick - the worldbuilding and magic system is incredible, I also really love the characters and the found family aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did read the Fourth Wing series. Really liked the first one, not so keen on the next two and the next one is taking so long I am kind of going off them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also read the first in many MG and YA series when I was a teacher librarian. I seldom read the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the second TTT I've seen today with The Three-Body Problem listed, so now I feel like I have to check it out. If you're looking for another sci-fi fantasy series, I read book 1 of the Suneater series titled The Empire of Silence by Christopher Ruocchio and I thought it was absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts.