Saturday, December 31, 2011

Sunday Salon: What Are Your Reading Resolutions for 2012?

New Year's Day. A brand new start. I love this feeling.

I make resolutions every year. My focus this year, as it has been for the past several years, is on Happiness. To that end, I have made this reminder chart (thank you, Andrew Weil and Spontaneous Happiness):


Here are my Reading Resolutions for 2012:

1. Read good books slowly. Keep a sticky and pencil nearby as I read these good books. Note great quotes. Note great ideas. Note great new words.

2. Read so-so books quickly. Skimming is okay for these books and these books still count as books read. A two sentence review is perfectly acceptable.

And that's it.

No big resolutions to read War and Peace this year or to read and review 365 books this year or to read all the 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up this year. No attempts to read strictly from my enormous TBR. No vows to refrain from purchasing new books. Just these two little resolutions for me.



How about you?  What are your Reading Resolutions for 2012? Do you have a list of books you want to read this year? How about challenges? What about your TBR? What do you hope to accomplish in 2012?



P.S. Here's my list of Top Ten Reads of 2011!

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I like your goals...and your chart!

    I want to savor the books I love...and skim those I don't!

    Thanks for sharing....

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really haven't set any resolutions from this year, other than to read freely! Last year was pretty structured for me, and this year, just want to explore. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made the same reading resolution each year for the past several years -- to read at least 52 books in the year, any books in any format. That means it is easy for me to be successful and I can share my progress in the Ravelry 52 books in 52 weeks group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your resolutions: short and sweet! I want to tackle my tbr stack this year and read more out of my comfort zone. When I take notes on the books I read, it's often helpful to use post-its for my favorite passages. Good luck on your goals. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great resolutions! One of my goals this year is to be okay with abandoning more books. Unless there's a reason for me reading it, why slog through something I'm not enjoying?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe that will be me next year and plan to read nothing and just let it come as I need it to happen.

    Here is my last Sunday Salon post for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to be more free this year, too, Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started aiming at reading 52 books a year back in 2003. Now I'm in the habit of doing at least that. Of course, when you read 260 children's books, that helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should abandon more books. But it was so difficult for me to let go of War and Peace. I hated it from page one but I couldn't seem to give myself permission to put the book down!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've decided to give away books that have been lingering in my tbr for years. I've slowly moved down to two bookshelves (from an original six!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I was disciplined enough to take notes while I read. I try, but usually get so involved in the story that I forget.

    Good luck with your resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your resolutions. I'm trying to do the same with 100 + books this year. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.