Sunday, November 13, 2016

My Week in Books: Nonfiction November

It's Nonfiction November and I've vowed to read nothing but nonfiction this month. To that end, I've started eight nonfiction books that I hope to read this month. So far, I've finished only one, but I'm still hopeful I can finish the others despite the huge number of Cybils fiction books I'm also trying to read. Here's what I'm hoping to finish this month:









Week 2: (Nov 7 – 11) – (RachelChoosing Nonfiction
What are you looking for when you pick up a nonfiction book? 
I would rather read a bad nonfiction book than I would a mediocre fiction book. Why is that? I don't know.
Of course my favorite nonfiction is good nonfiction. I will read almost any kind of narrative nonfiction. 
Do you have a particular topic you’re attracted to?
I love books about happiness, moving-and-starting-over books, books about spirituality, travel stories, foodie stories, memoirs, doctor stories, books that help explain what makes people do the things they do, stories set in Italy, stories set in Paris, and history stories.
I never read celebrity memoirs or self-help or textbooks. 

What are you reading today?


What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

23 comments:

  1. Oh Deb I have to admit I HATE non-fiction. I struggle even with collections of short stories and the like and self-help books. Having said that I'm working through The Artist's Way at the moment and enjoying that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bread Baker's Apprentice looks fab. I like reading about food related subjects. I loathe self-help books, ha ha. I have read some biographies of rock musicians, but never any celebrity memoirs. Have wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I've read a couple of celebrity memoirs and...well, these folks should stick to being a celebrity.

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of good non fiction reads there! I might need to read some non fiction books too!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of Am I Alone Here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My head has been elsewhere and I forgot all about Nonfiction November. Perhaps I should attempt to go back and get a late start...or...not. Looks like you found some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly not too late. You may have a bit of time over Thanksgiving to do some reading.

      Delete
  6. That is a nice mix of reads. Enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You're doing so well at NFNov! That's awesome. I hardly ever read NF and really should work on that a bit more. There's a few on my TBR - maybe I could squeeze one into my November reading schedule!?

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are rocking Nonfiction November! I'm still reading some fiction, but I'm trying to bump up the number of nonfiction books I read.

    I've heard great things about Neurotribes. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lot of nonfiction! I wish I could do that much, but I still am having to throw a little fiction in here and there. Thanks for the tip on Everyone Loves Paris. I do, and I need that book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually read at least 1 NF a year but they haven't spoke to me. Nor memoirs or True Crime either, hmmm. Enjoy the rest of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck. It looks like you have interesting assortment to choose from. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The best nonfiction tells a story and reads like a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I could read only non fiction for an entire month. Which is funny because it used to be my favorite genre.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Start Where You Are looks intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like a well-written memoir. Author's memoirs can be the best, since (unlike celebrities), they are good writers. Just read Chris Crutcher's memoir this weekend, and it was terrific--lots of insight into him as well as the real-life inspiration for several of his books I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hadn't heard of any of these, but I'm intrigued by "White Trash"

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have me curious about the Start Where You Are journal. I have not heard of it but if it is a self-empowering type of book then I'd probably dig it. thx. I'm just reading one nonfiction this month: Springsteen's autobiography which is pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I rarely read non-fiction, so I am impressed.

    I enjoy women's fiction and happy endings in any book. :) I also enjoy historical fiction and mystery.

    I don't read memoirs or self=help books either.

    Have a wonderful week of reading.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.