Saturday, August 3, 2013

Bruschetta

School supplies choke the main aisles at Kroger and Wal-Mart;
that's a mayday siren that my langorous days of summer are almost spent.

I've made fresh bread every week this summer.
My happiest weeks are when 
I luxuriate in the bread one night as a side
and savor it again by repurposing it into a main dish the next night.

I've puttered around with bread recipes this summer.
I've experimented with a Texas version of Croque Monsieur
and today I try Bruschetta.

Start by chiffonading fresh basil from the garden.
(I'm proud of this shot, btw; I used the timer on my camera.)

Brown a loaf of homemade bread in butter.

Mix fresh tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil, and balsamic vinegar.

Dinner!

If you want specifics, here's the

Anyone have any other great ideas to use homemade bread?




Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.
Saturday Snapshot is now hosted by West Metro Mommy ReadsTo participate in Saturday Snapshot: post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky below. Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don’t post random photos that you find online.

38 comments:

  1. Yum. Wish I'd been there!

    You could use the bread for homemade croutons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strata is my go-to bread user-upper. Leftover veggies, cheese and whatever else you like sitting in an egg wash before I leave for work means all I have to do is pop it in the oven when I get home and dinner is done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried homemade croutons. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strata is entirely new to me. I need to look for general directions. Maybe that will be a future Weekend Cooking post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore savory bread puddings! It was too hot to bake most of the summer. I'll be baking bread again in September.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right. It is hot baking in summer. But it is when I have time to bake. I can get up early in the morning and start the dough and let it rise and knead it and let it rise some more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this bruscetta looks fabulous. Nice photo with the timer, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would have been nice to have had a tripod with the timer, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm excited because I can make this recipe as soon as the tomatoes get ripe. I don't usually make bread in the summer because of the heat, but with the temperature still in the 70s, I might make a few loaves, especially now that I'm following our college budget for the year. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have all the ingredients, so I'm making this for lunch. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have any ideas to share. Homemade bread is something I've been meaning to start making for years. We spend a ton on bread each week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Homemade bread looks hard, but it is easy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks delicious. I've been meaning o play around with bread recipes for ages. I should stop thinking and just get on with it! Thanks for visiting my blog,

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this in restaurants, but I've never tried making it myself.
    Here's My Weekend Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love bruchetta and crostini, but hubby is doing so well on his low-carb diet that I need to pass on them for a while! Also, he is the best bread baker in the family. :( He's going to be working from home soon, so I can only hope that whole-grain homemade bread will be part of our diet again someday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! This would be great with the super sweet cherry tomatoes that are at the farmer's market now. What about making spaghetti with toasted bread crumbs, garlic and chile flakes?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am grabbing my DH to show him your yummy looking dinner pics! Now I want to know how you stay so thin with all that bread... Then again, it sounds like you may still have kids at home to help keep you running. :-) Hope you enjoy the few weeks left before they head back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks very tasty. I have had bruschetta once or twice, but yours looks tastier.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Martha, no, kids are grown and gone. But the siren call of school supplies is for me; I'm a school librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never had bruschetta except at home. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely - I've never done a bruschetta at home! Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummy! Thanks for sharing...and now I'm drooling; lol.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never made buschetta in this way, but it sounds fab. Make french toast with leftover homemade bread, or top it over some oven made chicken chilli.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks yummy!

    I freeze the ends of my homemade loaves when they start to get dry. When I have enough ends I make a savory stuffing or a sweet bread pudding. Yum!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  25. I see the bread, which I love very much but boy do I adore the tine of your post.
    http://fabulosityreads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great job with the timer, and your bruschetta looks delicious. I've enjoyed seeing your bread exploits over the summer. French toast is a delicious way to use up bread, perhaps not quite so healthy as your bruschetta though.

    ReplyDelete
  27. French toast is an excellent idea. We often eat breakfast suppers (had pancakes with strawberries just the other night) so it might make a perfect evening meal from day-old bread.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've never tried a savory stuffing (the whole idea is new-to-me, thank you) nor a bread pudding. Thank you, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been gluten free for almost four years now due to allergy and I still, STILL miss bread!! Without it, bruschetta is just sauce. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am sad for you, Ti. No bread? That's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Paired with a cold glass of sauvignon blanc and I'm there! Usually I toast the bread, because yes...I am lazy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well, thanks - now I'm starving! :) Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.