Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Chiffonade







"Chiffonade is a knife technique used for cutting herbs and leaf vegetables such as lettuce into thin strips or ribbons. To chiffonade leaves of basil, for instance, you would stack the basil leaves and roll them into a tube, and then carefully cut across the ends of the tube with your knife to produce fine strips."                                                                                                      ---From About Culinary Arts


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words
that we’ve encountered in our reading.
If you want to play along, grab the button,
write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky at Bermuda Onion!

For more wordless photos,

19 comments:

  1. I've come across the term chiffonade before, and indeed done it too, nice demonstration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the exhortation to "cut CAREFULLY", lest the chiffonade turn into an impromptu amputation!

    Happy WW!
    ~EdT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I looked it up in a dictionary, the word was listed as an adjective. But online I found it used as a verb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard the term before, but I think I'll try this next time I'm cutting herbs or leafy vegetables. I have a good friend who study culinary arts - she's probably familiar with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard the term but have never done it myself. Thanks for the info and tips. Nice photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, especially that you did a sequence!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice shots. I've seen it done on tv. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The trickiest shot was the last one. I used the automatic timer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I learned something new! I didn't know that term and it never occurred to me to roll the leaves into a tube to cut them like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting, never heard of this before.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/08/wondrous-words-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can smell the basil from your photos. I misplaced the seeds so none in the garden this year. Thankfully, I can buy lovely ones at the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had a garden for thirty years, but it's only in the past couple of years that I've tried herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A new one on me but then I'm no whizz as far as culinary things go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea the nest time I make pesto with basil from my garden. Last time, I didn't cut them up and it was harder to pulse in the blender.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.