Monday, August 19, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

What I Read Last Week
Today is my first day back at work at my school library. You will undoubtedly see a big decline in the number of grownup books that I read and review each week; at the same time, you will see an enormous increase in the number of children's books I finish.




The Gravity of Birds
by Tracy Guzeman


Review coming soon! 









The Last Train to Zona Verde: My Ultimate African Safari

by Paul Theroux

Review coming soon!









Food Rules: An Eater's Manual
written by Michael Pollan
illustrated by Maira Kalman

Review coming soon!









Raising the Curve:

A Year Inside One of America's
45,000 Failing Public Schools


Review coming soon!







What Arrived in the Mail Last Week



Crankenstein
by Samantha Berger

From Amazon:  "Who is Crankenstein?

HE IS A MONSTER OF GRUMPINESS THAT NO ONE CAN DESTROY! MEHHRRRR!!! HE'S ALIVE!"








Custer's Last Battle:

Red Hawk's Account of the Battle of Little Bighorn
by Paul Goble

From NY Times Review:  "Beautifully illustrated and written with verve and authenticity. . . . The pictures are among the best I’ve seen in any children’s history, and the realities conveyed to the young readers are the closest to the final layer of truth that one can hope for."










Sure Signs of Crazy
by Karen Harrington

From Amazon:  "You've never met anyone exactly like twelve-year-old Sarah Nelson. While most of her friends obsess over Harry Potter, she spends her time writing letters to Atticus Finch. She collects trouble words in her diary. Her best friend is a plant. And she's never known her mother, who left when Sarah was two."









How Far Do You Love Me?

by Lulu Delacre

From Amazon:  "Based on a bedtime game author/illustrator Lulu Delacre played with her young daughters, How Far Do You Love Me? is an "I love you" book with a twist. With every expression of love, readers visit one of thirteen different locations around the world, each a beautifully illustrated scene of adults and children in a place of natural beauty. "









What I'm Reading Now



Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking

by Anya Von Bremzen 

From Amazon:  With startling beauty and sardonic wit, Anya von Bremzen tells an intimate yet epic story of life in that vanished empire known as the USSR—a place where every edible morsel was packed with emotional and political meaning.








What are you reading this week?




It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! As part of this weekly meme Book Journey loves to encourage you all to go and visit the others participating in this meme. 

25 comments:

  1. Your job sounds awesome! I remember visiting my school library when I was little - it was just a small closet, but I loved it.

    Crankenstein looks like so much fun, I love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, where do you find all these books. There are SOOOO many out there to read/review! I've been reading a series by Julie Hyzy, The Whitehouse Chef series. Really do enjoy them. I've never been one for series books but these are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always on the lookout for new good books, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the books on your list, especially Crankenstein :) it looks like a lot of fun.

    Have a great week Deb! And thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you have an awesome job. Having to read books to be able to advice other people... what a shame..
    Curious about your review on The Gravity of Birds.

    Good luck with getting back on the work rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Picture books are the best. Crankenstein...lots of Crankenstein teachers out there today, the first day back to school!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen The Gravity of Birds on several blogs this Monday. Enjoy them all and have good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your first day back. I still have a week before workshops begin. Sure Signs of Crazy was an amazing surprise for me. I loved it!

    Here is my Monday Report. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your first day at school! I still have another week of Summer holiday, but then it is also back to school for me as well.

    Enjoy your reads this week (even if they are children's books, they still look like great books)

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very interested in Custer's Last Battle. We were just in Custer State Park with our 11 yr old granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ive been curious about The Gravity of Birds. Also, Raising the Curve.
    As someone who went back to school and became a Sociology major a few years ago, I remember we watched a film about a desolate, worn out school in a big city and in comparison, a spanking new one built in a wealthier neighborhood in same city. I think it was in Ohio if I am not mistaken. As someone who spent her adult life working in schools, it was painful to watch that film. Might be an interesting book for me to read. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking books! Sure Signs of Crazy is on my list.

    Enjoy!

    Here's MY MONDAY READING POST

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm looking forward to Sure Signs of Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to know you loved Sure Signs of Crazy, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes, Bettina, I think children's books are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ciska, Gravity of Birds has a great plot. A compelling mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I work in schools, so I found Raising the Curve very interesting, Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Custer's Last Battle is by the amazing Paul Goble, so I'm eager to read it, Les.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great bunch of books.

    ENJOY your week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  20. I started back in my library job also, but the library (as usual in the beginning of the year) is a huge mess because it's also a staging area for all the incoming textbooks for the classrooms, and it now doubles as a teacher's lounge (lack of room), so we have to put off actually library time until later. :) So I get to do a few other tasks before I start library sessions - catch up duty. Looking forward to a new year of reading to the younger grades, seeing what books the kids are reading and processing incoming books. Fun job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the cover of Gravity of Birds!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's the kind of cover I like, Holly. A beautiful and thoughtful cover that reflects the story.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope your first week back at work is fantastic! So many new kids to meet and books to introduce. . . I'm looking forward to your review of Gravity of Birds.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.