Monday, August 5, 2013

It's Monday!



It's almost time for school to resume. Two weeks of summer left.

I've had lots of children's books arrive lately. 

I'm reading these, finishing two books about improving education in America, and reading a mysterious 1001 Children's Book You Must Read book, Picnic at Hanging Rock. 

What are your reading plans for this week? 

HERE'S WHAT ARRIVED LAST WEEK



Chamelia and the New Kid in Class
by Ethan Long

From Amazon:   "Chamelia is a chameleon who loves to stand out in a crowd. She's always the star of the show, especially at school. But when a new kid in class becomes the center of attention, Chamelia feels left out. Can she figure out how to beat her competition? Or will she learn to share the spotlight and make a new best friend?"





Violet Mackerel's Personal Space

by Anna Branford 
From Amazon:  "Meet Violet Mackerel - a girl with a mission to think outside the box. Violet invents her "Theory of Leaving Small Things" (when you leave something small in a nice place, so a tiny bit of you gets to stay too). Then there are lots of special news: Mum and Vincent are getting married, and they'll all be moving to a new house. Violet is excited about the wedding part (she will wear a dress with fairy wings) but not so keen on the moving house: brother Dylan is not keen on ANY of it. "






Children of the Tipi: Life in the Buffalo Days
edited by Michael Oren Fitzgerald
From Amazon:  "What was it like to grow up in the world of the pre-reservation Plains Indians before the coming of the white settlers? Prior to our modern era of television, video games, and computers how did American Indian children live, learn, and play? In this beautifully illustrated book, award-winning author, Michael Oren Fitzgerald, combines stunning photographs and simple quotations by Indian chiefs and elders to explain to today’s youth what life would have been like growing up on the American plains."





What We Found in the Sofa and How It Saved the World
by Henry Clark
From Amazon: "When River, Freak, and Fiona discover a mysterious sofa sitting at their bus stop, their search for loose change produces a rare zucchini-colored crayon. Little do they know this peculiar treasure is about to launch them into the middle of a plot to conquer the world!"





The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp
by Kathi Appelt
From Amazon:  "Raccoon brothers Bingo and J’miah are the newest recruits of the Official Sugar Man Swamp Scouts. The opportunity to serve the Sugar Man—the massive creature who delights in delicious sugar cane and magnanimously rules over the swamp—is an honor, and also a big responsibility, since the rest of the swamp critters rely heavily on the intel of these hardworking Scouts. Twelve-year-old Chap Brayburn is not a member of any such organization. But he loves the swamp something fierce, and he’ll do anything to help protect it."




The Merits of Mischief: The Bad Apple
by T. R. Burns
From Amazon:  "Twelve-year-old Seamus Hinkle is a good kid with a perfect school record—until the day of the unfortunate apple incident.
Seamus is immediately shipped off to a detention facility—only to discover that Kilter Academy is actually a school to mold future Troublemakers, where demerits are awarded as a prize for bad behavior and each student is tasked to pull various pranks on their teachers in order to excel."






The Merits of Mischief: A World of Trouble
by T. R. Burns

From Amazon:   "Sometimes you find trouble, and sometimes trouble finds you.

It’s Seamus Hinkle’s second semester at Kilter Academy, where he’s quickly become an ace troublemaking student. In fact, the headmistress has even entrusted him with a special assignment—one he’s forbidden to share with any of his friends."







Pirates on the Farm
by Denette Fretz
From Amazon:  "No one ever imagined that five swashbuckling pirates would settle in our proper little southern community. But they did.' When pirates move in next door, life on the farm is bound to get interesting. "






22 comments:

  1. Wow! Lots of reads there! Hope you enjoy them!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get busy reading children's books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great selection of books! Children of the Tipi really appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all your children's books. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to have a day where I just read children's books, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your books.

    THANKS for stopping by my blog earlier today.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to stop blogging and start reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great selection, I especially like the look of Children of the Tipi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, thank you, Debbie. I had seen mention of What We Found in the Sofa and How It Saved the World and thought it would be a good book for the older of my daughter's stepsons. Do you think I could remember the title? Nope. Only that the story involved a crayon. You've rescued my from yet another aging memory malfunction!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are welcome, Marcia. I have the same difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That are a lot of cute looking books! Enjoy your free time while it still lasts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stack looks great! What are the two books about improving education you're reading? I hope your two weeks go by slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read Improbable Scholars: The Rebirth of a Great American School System and a Strategy for America’s Schools by David L. Kirp and I'm reading Raising the Curve: A Year Inside One of America's 45,000 Failing Public Schools by Ron Berler.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read a children's book in a long time. Your post makes me miss them!
    Here's My Post

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can NOT believe it's back to school for you already !!
    Grab these 2 wks then with gusto, girl, and enjoy !!
    however that looks ;))

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love seeing all of these children's books. The one thing that I would never say no to my kids was books. We are in the in-between now. My youngest graduated this past fall and I do not have any grandchildren, so I have to legit excuse to purchase these, but oh so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are some fun sounding kids books - thanks for sharing Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kids books often get the best titles. I really love What We Found in the Sofa and How it Saved the World! Violet Mackerel is Australian, but of course I haven't read any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My little guy is loving the books I choose for him at the library these days. If only I could get him away from the toy area to choose his own!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is my happy day as a librarian...the day they choose books over toys.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.