Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Best Books I Read in 2015



It's that time of the year.

No, I'm not talking about Christmas; I'm talking about the time of year where I take a close look at what I read last year.

I read a grand total of 397 books. Pretty amazing. But, before you get too amazed, consider that 250 were children's fiction picture books. 

So let's look at the remaining 147 books for a minute:

Fiction: 65
Nonfiction: 82

Conclusion: This was a nonfiction year for me.

Add the 250 children's fiction picture books back in, please. Add in the additional 43 other children's books read.

Adult: 104
Children: 293

Conclusion: This was a year for reading children's books

Finally, let's separate all the books by some of my favorite genres. 

Travel: 3
Poetry: 3
Memoir: 7
Classics: 2

Final Conclusion: I read a lot of children's books and nonfiction this year, but I didn't read much of my other favorites. I'd really like to read more literary fiction, more classics, and more travel in 2016.


Finally, without further ado, here is the list of the books I loved reading this year...

Now I'm off to visit your blog. Please, please share your thoughts about any of these books or offer suggestions for me for 2016. 




Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

19 comments:

  1. I just love that you made pie charts! It's another bumper year for you. 397 is crazy- and you have 15 more days to make it an even 400... Nice to see a 1001 book there. Being Mortal is in the house- I just need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed What If? Super interesting read. Amazing job on that many books this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read Dead Wake, What If, and Lists of Note. I've found that I didn't read nearly as much nonfiction as I usually do. This was more a year for easy reading for me. Love the charts! What a fun way to look at your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice variety, many enjoyed Dead Wake, I have considered his books before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I love that you recapped your year with charts and everything too. I used to read more nonfiction but I think in the last few years considerably less so; I should get back on that next year.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wow, that is a ton of books you read this year! And the pie charts were a very cool touch :)

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm impressed with your fiction/nonfiction breakdown! Nonfiction is an area where I did a horrible job in 2015 and I want to do better in 2016! I've only read one of the books on your list (Dead Wake).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still need to read so many of these but I'm particularly interested in Dead Wake -- love that cover, too!! Great list!!

    my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - even if 250 were children's picture books, 397 is a massive total!

    I'm so glad to see Mrs. Mike in your list. That has been one of my favourites since eighth grade. I must have read it a dozen times (or more) over the course of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo, I'll have to read What If? That's right up my alley. My hubby is listening to the unabridged audio version from Audible now, so when he's done, I'll have to listen to it myself. He's liking it so far!

    Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment on my Top Ten Tuesday post this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! Those are definitely all new to me!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE 'True Grit'. If you enjoyed that you should read 'The Sisters Brothers' by Patrick deWitt (if you haven't already). It's a gritty western as well, but with a bit more dark humour. And 'Redwall' is another favourite, although it's been years since I read it - I really should revisit.

    Also, how on earth did you read so many books? That's an AMAZING effort - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore your pie charts, and now want to make my own.

    True Grit and Being Mortal are both on my to-read list. Glad to hear you strongly enjoyed them.

    I think I may add picture books to my count next year, just out of curiosity. I occasionally add one, when it really blows me away, but I haven't made a habit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting reading year! I haven't read any of your top ten but Being Mortal, Dead Wake and True Grit are all very high on my to read list. I've heard lots of gushing things about all three.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great choices. Being Mortal will definitely make my list this year! Mrs. Mike is a junior high favorite ready for a reread on my kindle, and Dead Wake and Kingdom of Ice are near the top of my audio wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great list ~ I'm definitely interested in reading Mrs. Mike. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oOHH Dead Wake. I agree with that one. So well written.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the graphs. Neat that you read more nonfiction this year. Some great books too! Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I keep seeing Being Mortal on a lot of best-of lists. I'm thinking I need to add that one to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.