Tuesday, September 27, 2016

My Fall TBR

I won't be reading-at-will this fall. I have lots of reading for upcoming events.


Books for the Margaret Root Brown Reading Series in Houston
     *Barkskins by Annie Proulx
     *Here I Am by Jonathan Safran Foer
     *Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
     *Reputations by Juan Gabriel Vasquez




Books for the Texas Book Festival in Austin
     *Before the Fall by Noah Hawley
     *The Midnight Assassin by Skip Hollandsworth
     *Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler
     *How to Be a Texan by Andrea Valdez
     *The Girls by Emma Cline
     *Homegoing by Yaa Guasi
     *The Train to Crystal City by Jan Jarboe Russell
     *Leave Me by Gayle Forman




Books for the Cybils
     Nominations for the Cybils start on October 1st. I will probably have to read and evaluate over two hundred children's fiction picture books. That will keep me busy!


Do you know any of these books? What do you hope to read this fall?



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
SaveSave

17 comments:

  1. Barkskins is so ginormous - it may take you the whole of Autumn to read just it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave Me is on my list as well, and I really want to find time to read Homegoing soon!

    Here is my TTT: https://4thhouseontheleft.wordpress.com/2016/09/27/top-ten-tuesday-autumn-tbr-list/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Binge reading YA right now, until October 1 rolls around:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave Me is next up on my list. I'm so excited! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Girls has been a quite a few people's lists. Will have to check it out! :D My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be reading Crooked Kingdom, which I hope to finish before Oct 1st. My Top Ten Tuesday link

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I'd like to read Homegoing and The Girls, and The Midnight Assassin sounds really interesting. =) I hope you enjoy all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice way to keep busy!
    I will read Commonwealth as well, (cf. BEA 16). I'm actually trying to do the opposite: I'm refusing more and more books offered to me, unless they look really fabulous, to be able to read more of the books I have been meaning to read for ages.
    By the way, I just read Home of the Brave, OMG it is so so good. I assume it's kind of a classic, published 30 years ago. I see the author is a fan of yours, I can easily see why!
    But I started crying on page 16 to the very last page 2 hours later...
    Emma at Words and Peace

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diverse collection of book in your TTT post!! Enjoy your Fall reads. :-)

    Here's a link to my TTT post:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/09/top-ten-tuesday-books-on-my-fall-tbr.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh nice picks! All totally new to me! Hope you love them all!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read one of those books, BEFORE THE FALL. All the reviews you'll read of BEFORE THE FALL will praise it, some going so far as to say that it’s the best mystery/thriller of 2016. Believe it.

    BEFORE THE FALL is the best mystery/thriller in recent years. No kidding. GONE GIRL and THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN, the books that so many other mysteries/thrillers have been compared to, don’t hold a candle to BEFORE THE FALL. That is, BEFORE THE FALL is much better than those earlier books, much more literate and unputdownable at the same time.

    Carol Fitzgerald of bookreporter.com, although she named this book a “Bets On Pick,” said that if she had edited BEFORE THE FALL, she would have cut more. I disagree. I didn’t want the book to end, so the more the author, Noah Hawley, told me about the characters, the better.

    Simply put, the story begins with a plane crash into the ocean. There are two survivors. BEFORE THE FALL examines the backgrounds of each passenger and crew member. It also shows the experiences of the survivors after the fall. The mystery throughout: why did the plane crash, was someone responsible, and, if so, who?

    NOTE: One of the passengers on that ill-fated plane was a top executive at a 24-hour cable TV news station that is obviously meant to be Fox News, although the fictional TV station, per policy, makes (rather than just reports) news. And one of the news show hosts, who ”reports” recorded (bugged) telephone conversations of one of the survivors, is NOT, whether this book implies it or not, Bill O’Reilly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I´m already familiar with Annie Proulx, Emma Cline, Jonathan Safran Foer and Ann Patchett, but the rest of the authors in your list are new to me. thanks for a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen a lot of things about Gayle Foreman (and Leave Me), but the only of hers I've read is If I Stay. Hoping I read more by her soon because, surprisingly, I did enjoy that one. Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Deb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweetbitter and The Girls on are my tbr - Happy reading!

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems everyone was reading The Girls over the summer! I hope you enjoy that title...I've also been meaning to read more Ann Pratchett, I read Bel Canto years ago and remember enjoying that book.

    Happy reading & thanks for dropping by my TTT earlier this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. As usual, I want to read what you are reading! I just can't keep up! Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh the Austin festival sounds great. I would love to go to that. I'll try to put it on my calendar for next year. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.