Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Books That Will Make You Cry




Books That Will Make You Cry


Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
Mrs. Bridge by Evan S. Connell
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Wilma Unlimited by Kathleen Krull
Nothing by Janne Teller
Maus by Art Spiegelman
Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Andersen
Window by Jeannie Baker
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You by Peter Cameron
Visit Sunny Chernobyl by Andrew Blackwell
As Simple as Snow by Gregory Galloway
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Old Yeller by Fred Gipson
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman
Firegirl by Tony Abbott
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis
These Granite Islands by Sarah Stonich
Between Shades of Gray by Ruth Sepetys
Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
The Hours by Michael Cunningham
Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse

Once I started thinking of books, I just couldn't seem to stop. 
Everything, apparently, seems to make me cry. 

For a tidier, Top Ten list, take a look at this post from 2010.

Did I forget any books? Are any of these your favorite books-that-make-you-cry?



12 comments:

  1. The Lovely Bones had me crying - a lot. I've read a couple on your list but generally don't enjoy sobbing while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, Sherry. Not sure exactly why I've read so many sad books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a list. I need to check out some of these books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah! I've only read two of these. I'm not a big crier for books, although they do give me the feels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Several on here that I totally agree with and even more that I've been meaning to read for a long time (like Between Shades of Gray!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a big crier, either. Or so I thought....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of good books on this, whether they make you cry or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Automatically I was going to say Where the Red Fern Grows but now I see you have it on the List. Maybe you could add: Me Before You and The Diary of a Young Girl / Anne Frank. But you got a good list.
    Cheers. http://www.thecuecard.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where the Red Fern Grows. Sigh. I love that book. I just decided that I am going to reread it now. My list is made up of cry-worthy books I've read since the last time Top Ten Tuesday had the same topic. So many of my books aren't as well known. Thanks for the masterlist!

    btw,
    You asked if you could Pin my Your Teachers Love... holiday decoration idea in my library. Pin Away! (And, I might add, kids are checking out the books, which makes me happy!)

    Anne@My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great idea for a library...teachers' favorite books with hearts on them!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.