Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The First Books I Had on My Bookshelf


The very first book I remember having on my bookshelf. I remember reading it over and over. 
"Do you like my hat?" 
"I do not like your hat." 
"Goodbye." 
"Goodbye."

 My mom was a huge fan of the I Can Read it By Myself Beginner Book Club. I had all of these.

Little Golden Books were the only books I ever bought with my own money. They were on sale at the  drugstore in my town for 29 cents in 1962. I bought lots of these.

My mom had loved Nancy Drew mysteries when she was a girl, so she started buying me Bobbsey Twins mysteries when I was in first grade. I would always get several of these each Christmas.

Golden Books started selling inexpensive copies of old chapter books when I was in primary school. I was able to buy some of these with my allowance.

My mom subscribed me to the Weekly Reader Children's Book Club when I was in elementary school. I remember being mystified at stories like It's Like This, Cat and Berries Goodman in which children lived in apartments rather than houses.

I was in fourth or fifth grade when our teacher started handing out Scholastic Book Club brochures each month. I couldn't wait to buy a book or two for 50 cents each. It seemed to take forever for the books to actually come in. A Wrinkle in Time was my all-time favorite from Scholastic.



 Are any of these familiar to you? What were the first books you had on your bookshelf?











Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

21 comments:

  1. I have VERY strong memories of Put Me in the Zoo. And Summer from the same series. I was in some kind of bookclub at primary school that had a paper catalogue that I would pour over every time it came out to decide which books I wanted- I still do that with book catalogues... And oh- I've got It's Like This, Cat in my TBR I found a copy at a used book sale a few years ago now- I haven't managed to read it yet, but I know where it is on the shelf. I only read A Wrinkle in Time as an adult, and sadly it just doesn't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Summer last summer. It felt like I had read it many times before, even though I don't remember having it on my shelf.

      My book memories are strong. So are yours.

      Delete
  2. Nice! I think some of my firsts were the Berenstain Bears and those Disney books that were really big...think they were from the grocery stores...

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I taught myself to read with Dr Seuss - I read One Fish, Two Fish and Ten Apples Up on Top so many times, I could probably still recite them :-)

    My mum had a couple of Bobbsey Twin books along with some old Enid Blyton's to get me started on chapter books.

    In Australia we had the Wombat book club (part of Scholastic Australia) - the agony each month working out what to book to spend my money on! I purchased a couple of Carol Ryrie Brink books (Baby Island and Two Are Better than One) that I adored and one called Adopted Jane that I have never forgotten.

    Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Poky Little Puppy was my favorite book as a preschooler. My own three-year-old doesn't like it that much, but the illustrations always make me so nostalgic! My post for today is Old School Kidlit Favorites Through the Decades.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My childhood was a bit of a challenge. I didn't own any books but I forged my mom's signature to get a library card. If I could have owned books, I would have owned: the entire Nancy Drew series, Encyclopedia Brown, all the Beezus and Ramona books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sad. I think I need to stop complaining about how my mom only bought me mysteries.

      Delete
  6. It still seems like forever before the Scholastic book orders come in. :-) I wish I had a better memory of my early reading years and the books I read. I do remember the librarian reading Otis Spofford by Beverly Cleary to our class in 4th grade. It kicked off my love for anything by Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume.

    Your list brings back memories! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wrinkle in Time made my list, too. It was my favorite book read in my late elementary years and I still like of it so fondly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to take a look at your list since we are the same age.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful list! I honestly don't remember if I ever got around to finishing A Wrinkle in Time; I feel like I'm missing out on something :3

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Wrinkle in Time was also one of my favorites. I read it several times. I also had The Five Little Peppers -- I'm sure it's packed away in box somewhere in the house. My very first hardcover book was Charlotte's Web... and I still have it on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! I've read a lot of Dr. Seuss books when I was little and I need to read the Poky Little Puppy someday!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved A Wrinkle in Time. It was one of those library discoveries where I didn't know that much about the book but thought it looked interesting. I reread it not that long ago and loved it but was surprised that I had loved it so much as a kid as it is decidedly from the Nancy Drew books I devoured. I read some Bobbsey Twin books but there was one that absolutely terrified me (something about being chased through a fun house I think) and I stopped reading them! I've always wanted to read Five Little Peppers as they talk about it in Cheaper by the Dozen and I read that book to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the Poky Little Puppy. That was one my mom had to read over and over. And, it was the first book on my son's shelf. :) I bought it when he was still in the NICU, and I propped it up on the shelf near his bed. I read it to him everyday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My library actually still has quite of few of the Bobbsey Twins books and they go out pretty regularly! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  14. From your list, the Dr. Seuss books hold the strongest memories for me. I was also addicted to the Little House on the Prairie books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember little critter books, Charlotte's Web, and black beauty. I'm pretty sure we had a Dr Seuss treasury too.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.