Saturday, August 15, 2026

The Sunday Salon: A Classics Club Spin




Welcome! We're glad you're here at the 
Sunday Salon. 

What is the Sunday Salon? 

The Sunday Salon is a place to link up and share what we have been doing during the week. It's also a great opportunity to visit other blogs and join in the conversations there. 









What I Read Last Week:


The Otherwhere Post by Emily J. Taylor






What I'm Reading Now:

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir

The Swerve: How the World Became Modern by Stephen Greenblatt









The Classics Club has issued the announcement of the Classics Club’s 43rd CC Spin.

What is the Spin?

It’s easy. At your blog, before next Sunday, August 16, 2026, create a post that lists twenty books of your choice that remain “to be read” on your Classics Club list.

This is your Spin List.

You have to read one of these twenty books by the end of the spin period.

On Sunday, August 16, The Classics Club will post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List by Sunday, October 4th, 2026. 

Let's see who can make it the whole way and finish their spin book!

I have a lot of books to read on my latest Classics Club list. Let's see where the needle stops.

So here is my list. I picked the ten books from the list that I most want to read and listed them twice.

1, 11. A Glass of Blessings by Barbara Pym

2, 12. So Long, See You Tomorrow by William Maxwell

3, 13. The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright

4, 14. Emily of the New Moon by L. M. Montgomery

5, 15. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

6, 16. Indian Summer by William Dean Howells

7, 17. Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton

8, 18. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

9, 19. Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser

10, 20. Jane and Prudence by Barbara Pym


Have you read any of these?

Do you recommend any of these?


And the spin lands on...

The Day of the Triffids!





What I Posted Last Week Here at Readerbuzz:







I began to list 3 Good Things every day during the pandemic. Now I've established a regular routine of writing down my 3 Good Things. Here are 3 Good Things from last week:


Good Thing #1:

I experimented with some new 
chocolate chip cookie recipes.




Good Thing #2:
Our book club read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency this month,
so I reread the book and watched the series in prep for leading
the discussion.




Good Thing #3:

I was delighted to see my first
Julia Heliconian butterfly
this week.




Weekend linkup spots are listed below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

I hope you will join the linkup for Sunday Salon below. 

54 comments:

  1. I read “The Day of the Triffids” many years ago. It was a terrific book as I recall, albeit a tad scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember enjoying The Day of the Triffids! John Wyndham's work surprised me with how well it'd aged, if I recall rightly.

    The cookies look very tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intriguing books from both last week and this one. I hope you love Project Hail Mary as much as we did. I love the show The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. I wish the books were available digitally. Ooh, I’m glad you mentioned the Classics Spin. I’ll be sneaking in right under the line. The Julia Heliconian butterfly is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should add all the Anne of Green Gables books to my Classics list...I forget that they are classics. I know I have read Anne of Green Gables, and hope to do a reread this year, but I don't know if I have read the others, but I have them, and want to read them. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do that, too. I have only read the first book.

      Delete
  5. The three books on your list that I have read were long ago, and maybe I should reread them (nos.1, 9, and 10). I have heard a lot about the triffids but maybe never read it: reminds me of the H.G. Wells War of the Worlds, and maybe another alien invasion fiction. Good list!
    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of this challenge! Your chocolate chip cookie looks amazing and I like the size of it as well. Have a wonderful week Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On your CC spin list, I’ve read Emily of New Moon (it’s fine but I prefer the Anne books I think) and The Saturdays (I read this years ago and don’t remember much about it 🙈). I have The Day of the Triffids on my TBR. Good luck with the spin! I recently read Project Hail Mary and enjoyed it and the movie. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. I accidentally published it as Anonymous. Oops! My CC Spin list is here:
    https://literaryexcursions.com/2026/08/15/cc-spin-45/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read Andy Weir's "Project Hail Mary." I haven't watched the movie either. However, this book keeps popping up everywhere I look, so it might be a sign to add it to my TBR list.

    The chocolate chip cookies look great. I tried an apple cookie recipe, and they were delicious. I would add that to my list of things to be grateful for.

    Happy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Only read Marcus Aurelius....very good! Love the ChChip cookie, recipe?


    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't think I've read any of the books on your classics list. Good luck with whichever one is selected! Those cookies again - very tempting!! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I've only read the first three books in the Anne of Green Gables series. There are so many more, aren't there?! I love that beautiful butterfly. Gorgeous color!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great list. Like others, I also enjoyed The Day of the Triffids, but, in my opinion, the execution does lag behind the concept, as it usually happens with sci-fi. I am not sure what is my favourite Wyndham, perhaps The Midwich Cuckoos. I've been toying with the idea of reading The Glimpses of the Moon for what seems like ages now. Perhaps, I should put it on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice list, Deb. I love chocolate chip cookies. Beautiful butterfly 🦋 💜

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've only read the Meditations and Sister Carrie. I liked them both, but their different... ;-) Sister Carrie is a good Chicago book. Happy spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have fun with the classics spin. I haven't read any of them. That's a good idea to list just ten books twice. Your chocolate chip cookie looks delicious! I read your Friday post featuring Project Hail Mary. I haven't seen the movie nor read the book, but I want to do both. And now I'm very curious about BookCrossing. That sounds like a fun way to exchange books. I'm going to have look into it and maybe try it for myself. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a delightfully orange butterfly! I don't think I've seen one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That butterfly is pretty. I love butterflies.
    A new chocolate chip cookie recipe is always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When I finally finish this version of the Classics Club list I will add The Day of the Triffids to my next list. Egads. I am always looking ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read the Emily trilogy during the pandemic, and it was such a perfect choice at the time! I loved Emily of New Moon and the other two books. I'd like to get to Day of the Triffids at some point too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that Julia Heliconian butterfly! I used to see them in our yard around this time every summer, but you've reminded me that I haven't seen one so far this summer. I read "Meditations" long ago for a college class and it affected me quite profoundly. I have a copy in my library and I pick it up to read portions even now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed Project Hail Mary! And I didn't know there is a series of the #1 Ladies Detective Agency; those books were really fun to read. I'll have to find the series to watch. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope you enjoy your books. I have Project Hail Mary on audio. Now, to make time to listen to it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. If that spin doesn't land on Day of the Triffids I'm going to punch something.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't read any of the books on your list. Sorry.

    Chocolate chip cookies are always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Project Hail Mary has been screaming on my wish list but have yet pulled the trigger to purchase. That butterfly is gorgeous. Congrats on a wonderful find.

    Hope you have another fun week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would wish for you Triffids, such a wonderful old Sci-Fi, horror, but that woud mean I'd get Hardy or Dickens and I'm not quite in the mood for either. Good luck regardless :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I remember not liking Sister Carrie but it was so long ago that I read it that it might be the kind of book that takes on different meaning as we age.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's such a pretty butterfly! Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That butterfly is beautiful <3 sounds like you had a great week. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yum! Choc chip cookies :)
    I hope you are enjoying Project Hail Mary, it’s so good! I’ve only read The Day of the Triffids from your Classics list,

    Thanks for sharing your week, happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think I want to start sharing three good things from my week as well. The world is so negative lately and seeing positive things people are doing/encountering is refreshing! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Loved Project Hail Mary! That butterfly is beautiful! I've been seeing a lot on my Butterfly Bushes and my Echinacea! Have a wonderful week, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Edith Wharton and Barbara Pym are two authors I'd really like to read. I've read Emily of New Moon but while I enjoyed it it's never been a story I've felt the need to revisit. I've read that you're either an Anne person or an Emily person which makes a lot of sense. I'm fully an Anne person! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an Anne person, so I wonder if I'll like it as much as AofGG.

      Delete
  35. I LOVED The Saturdays and that whole series. There's a sweet innocence to them that doesn't feel saccharine or dated to me. I especially love them on audio. I'm a huge L. M. Montgomery fan. I've read all of her books, most several times. Emily isn't Anne but she's still a great character. Your cookie dough looks delicious! Do you need a taste tester? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like the other book Martian I think it’s called by the same author of Hail Mary. I tried to pick up Helene and Mary, but it was a little bit tough for me to get into maybe next time I’ll take some notes

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ha ha, that last comment written by anonymous reader was me

    ReplyDelete
  38. Emily of New Moon is excellent, as are your cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  39. The cookies look good. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency seems like a fun series ... I only read one of them ... but apparently there are 26 in the series. I didn't realize it was made into a TV series. I'll have to look for that. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Cookies look amazing! I love chocolate chip cookies. Hope you're having fun with your reading challenge. Enjoy your week!

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2026/08/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-mailbox_0259787162.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hope you are enjoying/ed Hail Mary. I really liked it, especially the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I like the way you list your books, I always list them twice, will have to change that in future. LOL I have read other books by L.M. Montgomery and Edith Wharton but none of the books on your list.
    I got Irène Némirovsky "All Our Wordly Goods" (Les biens de ce monde)
    Thanks for visiting my post:
    https://momobookblog.blogspot.com/2026/08/the-classics-club-classics-spin-45.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lovely. Did you write a review? I just tried to find it but with no success.

      Delete
    2. Well, if you write it one day, I'll see it. Thanks, Deb.

      Delete
  43. Oo Emily of New Moon!! I hope you enjoy whatever you end up reading!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I read all of John Wyndham's many moons ago; the day of the triffids has always stayed in my head so whenever i see a shooting star ...
    sherry

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts.