Today's Featured Book:
The Wide Wide Sea:
Imperial Ambition, First Contact and the Fateful Final Voyage of Captain James Cook
by Hampton Sides
Genre: History
Published: April 9, 2024
Page Count: 411 pages
Summary:
On July 12th, 1776, Captain James Cook, already lionized as the greatest explorer in British history, set off on his third voyage in his ship the HMS Resolution. Two-and-a-half years later, on a beach on the island of Hawaii, Cook was killed in a conflict with native Hawaiians. How did Cook, who was unique among captains for his respect for Indigenous peoples and cultures, come to that fatal moment?
It was the start of a very important year---1776---and James Cook had become a very important figure, a celebrity, a champion, a hero.
THE FRIDAY 56 is hosted by Anne of Head Full of Books. To play, open a book and turn to page 56 (or 56% on your e-reader). Find a sentence or two and post them, along with the book title and author. Then link up on Head Full of Books and visit others in the linky.
One day James Boswell (the Scottish lawyer and diariest) dropped by Cook's house on Mile End Road and had a pleasant visit, sipping tea in the garden, while a blackbird trilled a song. Boswell would recall, "It was curious to see Cook, a grave, steady man, and his wife, a decent plump Englishwoman, and think that he was preparing to sail around the world."
The purpose of THE BOOK BLOGGER HOP is to give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, and befriend other bloggers. THE BOOK BLOGGER HOP is hosted by Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.
Do you see yourself more as an editor, a writer, or just a reader? (submitted by Billy @ Coffee-Addicted Writer)
Just a reader.




This seems like a wonderful book. I will look forward to seeing what you think of it.
ReplyDeleteThis one sounds very interesting!
ReplyDeleteI consider myself all three at one time or another. But, I’m a reader first too. There’s something nice about simply enjoying the story and letting the author do all the hard work! Happy Reading!
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely 'just a reader' - ha! Have a good weekend!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely "just a reader" though I'm not sure that just is really necessary! This sounds interesting. I've read Tony Horwitz's books about Captain Cook and would love to read more about him.
ReplyDeleteThat book sounds interesting.
ReplyDeleteI see myself as mainly a reader, but other people's answers have made me think more about it 😂
Have a great weekend!
Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
My post:
https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2026/08/07/book-blogger-hop-do-you-see-yourself-more-as-an-editor-a-writer-or-just-a-reader/
I think as bloggers we do a bit of everything, reading/editing/writing-wise -- but a lot of people don't value those skills. But they are skills!
ReplyDeleteMy post is here: https://breathesbooks.com/2026/08/07/book-blogger-hop-writer-reader-editor/
Hi Deb, this book sounds great. I don't have the talent for writing. I am a very good speller, though.
ReplyDeleteI like to read but when it comes to learning a new task, I prefer to see it being done, as I am a visual learner.
Your thoughts on the book so far? I am interested in finding out more about this explorer yet 400 pages on him might be a bit much for me.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed that book very much, especially because I had visited some of the places that Captain Cook explored. My review:
ReplyDeletehttps://maefood.blogspot.com/2024/06/in-captain-cooks-footsteps.html
I feel like a bit of all three! I dabble with writing which comes with editing of course. Then naturally I am a born and bred reader!
ReplyDeleteHere's my BBH
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower :)
I've been meaning to read (or maybe listen to) this. I'll be interested to hear what you think if you get further.
ReplyDeleteI’m a reader, although I’d love to be a writer. I’m afraid I just don’t have it in me to see such things through.
ReplyDeleteAs for this book, it sounds amazing.
I feel sorry for all the wives who were left behind when these fellas went off for years on their voyages!
ReplyDeletesherry