Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Dishing Up Some Wonderful Stories, with Pie


We do not get much autumn here along the Texas Gulf Coast.

I don't actually own a coat, for example.

So, no cold weather. No falling leaves. Mostly just Summer Lite.

What's autumn to me?

When I think of fall, I think of pie. Shall we celebrate the arrival of fall with a few pie books?

I've read a lot of books with a pie or two at the heart of the story. Some are picture books. Some are cookbooks. And some are adult novels.  

Any genre, any age group---I will take some pie, please. And welcome, fall!



PICTURE BOOKS (FICTION)

Enemy Pie by Derek Munson

Piggie Pie! A Halloween Book for Kids by Margie Palatini

Pecan Pie Baby by Jacqueline Woodson

Little Bitty Bakery


PICTURE BOOKS (NONFICTION)

Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie: A Story About Edna Lewis

Pies from Nowhere: How Georgia Gilmore Sustained the Montgomery Bus Boycott


COOKBOOKS

The Book on Pie: Everything You Need to Know to Bake Perfect Pies

Pie Squared: Irresistibly Easy Sweet and Savory Slab Pies

Art of the Pie: A Practical Guide to Homemade Crusts, Fillings, and Life

The Pie Academy


TRAVEL NARRATIVE

American Pie: Slices of Pie (and Life) from America's Back Roads


MG FICTION

Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer

Truth About Twinkie Pie by Kat Yen


ADULT FICTION

Rhododendron Pie by Margery Sharp

World of Pies by Karen 

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

The Secret Ingredients of Wishes by Susan Bishop Crispell

The Help by Katherine Stockett


My Pie in Literature Award winners from Care at Care's Books and Pie:

2016...Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner

2017...What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

2018...The Idiot by Elif Batuman

2019...The Lager Queen of Minesota by J. Ryan Stradal

2020...Ducks, Newburyport by Lucy Ellman

2021...The Resistors by Gish Jen

2022...The Rabbit Hutch by Tess Gunty

2023...The Guncle by Steven Rowley

2024...The Book of Love: A Novel by Kelly Link

2025...Heart the Lover by Lily King


What have I missed?



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.   

35 comments:

  1. Summer Lite', I love that! If pie is your autumn, you'd feel right at home in the Netherlands, where a slice of appeltaart with whipped cream is practically a national ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could go for a large helping of “The Life of Pi.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thought, exactly.

      Delete
    2. Not anonymous — that was from me, Mae at maefood.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. I love a little pie in the autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pie is always a treat, but apple, rhubarb, pumpkin and pecan in fall are perfect. We are experiencing what I call Second Summer here. We had some cool temperatures, and now it is back in the mid to high 70s. I get my last hurrah in the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes pie! I love pie for breakfast and it is for sure pie for breakfast season now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't really get fall here, either, but I do have a coat for when winter shows up....some time after Epiphany. XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read some of those — one that was interesting here: https://maefood.blogspot.com/2018/12/spiderwebs-attached-themselves-like.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! This is a unique take on this prompt. I haven't seen anyone do pie yet. So creative.
    My favorite pies are like fruit cream pies, like lemon meringue or Key Lime.
    I haven't heard of ANY of these books, but checking them out for sure!

    https://essentiallyash.blogspot.com/2026/09/top-ten-tuesday-fall-books-and-movies.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like pie is so underrated. I good fruit pie, heated a la mode is to die for. We get winter here kind of but not really fall. The only thing that changes if the quality of light. For example, it's 98 today and will most likely be through Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would miss no autumn leaves. Oh my and I will never forget some baking in The Help, not sure if it involved pie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm in Florida and there are no fall colors here. But, I've only been here for 6 years and before that I was in New York where the colors are very vibrant. I kind of miss that. I do like pies, so you chose a great topic, but now I'm craving pie. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super! Easily the most delicious post of the day! I have a pie in my post, but just the pie--not a book of pies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No coat? Remarkable! Summer Lite sounds wonderful, but your regular summers are too hot for me!

    I'm not a pie baker, but Pie Squared sounds like something I could manage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great collection of Pies! Another pie book you may want to check out is called Sweet Land of Liberty: A History of America in 11 Pies by Rossi Anastopolo. And I'm kind of jealous of the no coat thing, as in Canada we need at least 2!
    Here's my TTT for the week: https://readbakecreate.com/witchy-reads-for-autumn-2026/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deb, I grew up in Alabama and lived there until I was 22. I even spent 3 months in Dallas / Fort Worth in 1974 or thereabouts. But I had no idea how different the weather on the Texas Gulf Coast is. No coat, that is amazing. I am now in Southern California near the coast and I don't miss the leaves changing colors in the fall at all. But I still have to have a coat or two. Last year's winter was exceptionally mild though, and some of the plants that normally die back never did.

    I enjoyed this post centered on pies in books.

    ReplyDelete
  16. it gets cold here so I have a couple of coats. I'm glad we only get snow every few years. Maybe this year will be one of them with the weird weather that's going on all over. Pie, I love pie. Anytime is a good time for pie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pie is good at any time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We do have coats here, while there’s not much autumn, there is January and February at least. I like the idea of pie being associated with autumn as ice cream is associated with summer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome choices, Deb. Pie is so yummy! Not sure I could live where fall didn't mean leaves changing and cool temperatures, but you likely get used to it. Thanks for sharing.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2026/09/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-that.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. No coat! Wow! Fall is still my favorite season, but I live in the northeastern U.S. and am starting to understand why my father changed his favorite season to spring around the time he was the age I am now. Because fall meant winter was coming and spring meant summer was on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Don't own a coat, lol. I think I own about 27 here. Ha. I think of the Potato Peel Pie Society .... that title was always a mouthful right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! No, I've lived here all my life, and I've never bought a coat!

      Delete
  22. Pie is good anytime of the year!
    Thanks for sharing your #TTT

    ReplyDelete
  23. that's funny. we were literally talking about Mary Ann Shaffer's book last night at bookclub! We were discussing The Correspondent, so were talking about epistolary books. There's something so appealing to me about them ...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like pie but can't get past now owning a coat! If I weren't so sleepy, I would go check my coat closet, which I am guessing has at least 15 coats - of all colors and weights. Clearly, that is the difference between Texas and Massachusetts (plus, the politics).

    My favorite coat is purple and falling apart because I bought it around 1994. I need a 19th century seamstress to make a copy for me. I just remembered I have a picture of it: https://perfectretort.blogspot.com/2020/10/1956club-fifteen-iconic-teen-novel-of.html

    Constance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a child, as I watched tv set in (probably) NYC, and I wondered why every person's apartment (that was odd, too) had a coat rack.

      Delete
    2. The politics isn't so different in the cities, I think. But Texas has a lot of not-city folks.

      Delete
  25. That was a fun list! I feel bad for people who don't get the fall colors but at the same time, you also don't have to rake up leaves! Ha! So it's a good trade? Maybe? You can admire photos of the changing leaves or visit somewhere that has them and then go home to a home where you don't have to rake leaves.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts.