Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Brand New, Happy Year


I've been studying happiness for a while now.
(People always laugh when I tell them this. I don't know why.)

I've decided that this year, starting today, starting now,
will be my happiest year ever.

I know all the things that make people happier.
To remind myself, this morning
I reread three short books on happiness
(and browsed one big book).
Here are the important things I want to remember:

1. Walk.
2. Be thankful.
3. Laugh. Smile.
4. Love people.
5. Play.
6. Quiet time with God.
7. Good food.
8. Serendipity.
9. Wear fun clothes.
10. Read.

A nice reminder that I carry with me all the time:
Have you made resolutions for 2011?

This week I finished Hint Fiction,
Read This Next,
Tales from Firozsha Baag by Rohinton Mistry,
three books on happiness,
a 1001 CBYMRBYGU called Children of the Forest, 
and 500 Handmade Books.
These are all reviewed here.

The 2010 Cybils Finalists
have been announced.
Take a look here.

14 comments:

  1. I love your list! I hoe 2011 is your happiest year yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. Wishing you all the best on your resolutions. Smiling does do wonders for others. Happy New Year and happy reading in 2011.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Happiness Project on my nightstand. I hope to end each day focusing on this topic with the hope that subconsciously I will learn to focus on the process throughout the day and night.

    I wish you much health and happiness in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy would the world be a better place if we could all just be more thankful! Great list of resolutions, and I wish you all the best with your happiness quest in 2011 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great little memento to take with you as a reminder. I love it.

    And truly? People laughed when you said you were studying happiness? (I say this as an advertisement is airing right now for depression and whatever the newest marketable drug is...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great List and I sincerely hope 2011 is your happiest year ever. I have to admit I don't try as much as I should to be happy but I do try to Smile as much as I can. When someone smiles at you it can really turn your day around. So here is a smile for you today :~)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure why people laugh when I tell them I'm studying happiness....perhaps it does not sound like a serious pursuit? Of course, it is not a serious pursuit....well, it is and it isn't....

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great resolution :) I think everyone should take the time to actually put an effort in to being happy. You can't be happy if all you do is sulk around all day and feel bad for yourself.

    Wishing you the happiest year ever <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple resolutions. Not too complicated and not too overwhelming. I like that, and it's what I'm aiming in my own resolutions. Small steps, not large steps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful list! I have no doubt you'll achieve your goal and have a wonderfully happy 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "The Lover's Regret" is an awesome story! I hope my library has a copy of it. I love your resolutions! I think studying happiness is a serious pursuit. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this. I always teach my teenage son that happiness is a choice we make each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an excellent plan. I certainly hope you succeed with your plans.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.