Sunday, April 3, 2011

Spring Fever

The Sunday Salon.com
 
Do you ever have days when you want to do,
well, nothing?
 
That's me today.
 
I'm sitting here in my rocker on my front porch, listening to the sounds of kids playing on the next street, birds chirping, my windchimes gently ringing, and bikers whizzing by on their Sunday morning ride. I'm looking at the brilliant green world around me: green leaves, green grass, green everywhere.
 
It makes me feel so happy that I don't want to do anything.
 
I finished Heidi last week. An absolutely refreshing read. Heidi is the Mary Poppins of her world, bringing comfort to an aged and blind grandmother, teaching the incorrigible Peter to read, befriending and healing a lonely lame girl. All with the simple gifts of the spirit found in a young child. Makes me want to go live in a hut in Switzerland on the side of a mountain. Then again perhaps I am doing just that.
 
And, perfect for today, I'm reading the twelfth book in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective series, The Double Comfort Safari Club. I love the way our hero, the No. 1 Ladies' Detective herself, Mma. Precious Ramotswe, lives her life, enjoying the small moments and treating everyone with great respect. 
 
I'm even contemplating skipping church today. I'm thinking that sitting here on my front porch, with a cup of coffee, might be the ideal spot to thank God for his many blessings. It just might be.
 
What are you up to today?
 


What is the Sunday Salon?
Imagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them, and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....


That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. See below for how to join the Salon.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a beautiful day for doing mostly nothing, but I'm headed into the garden this afternoon and I have great ambitions for the spring. I am enjoying the tinkling of the wind chimes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're post is simply beautiful. I think you have experienced church on your front porch. You made me experience it. By the way, I luv Precious too. I haven't gotten as far as you in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a Sunday. It's still chilly here, but hoping for the kind of weather that lures you out with a cup of coffee on a quiet Sunday morning. It'll happen soon. I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Sunday Salon posts, Debbie! Every Sunday I look forward to them. Right now I'm sitting in my chair, reading Their Eyes Were Watching God, and drinking my cup of coffee. I agree that today seems like an excellent day to just sit and do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I skipped church today too.

    But I'm watching Cheers.

    However, I think your plan sounds good too, especially the breathing part. :) I'm not much for the coffee, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the Heidi books when I was a child. It's Mother's Day here in England so I'm going out for dinner with my daughter later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today I am feeling blessed to have such a wonderful family :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds a great day. I have been collecting the Ladies No 1 Detective Agency books and plan to read over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post Deb, just lovely. You captured the spirit of Heidi, whom I love, and the peace of your front porch. I just might run with you to that hut on the mountain. Heidi and Precious - similar in their affirmation of life. I think you are ok in missing church; you've appreciated and thanked, and found some serenity.

    Have you read the sequel to Heidi? It's by a different author, but continues the story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the window open onto my patio, letting in some cool breezes. I am luxuriating in the feel of it.

    But I really need to go out there and clean the patio...every week the gardeners blow leaves all over it! GRRRR.

    Then I can enjoy the patio (after I clean it).

    I have the first No. 1 Ladies Detective Book in the series, but haven't read it yet. Sounds good.

    Here's
    MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just reading your post has a relaxing effect! I too am taking it easy today. I'm planning on getting out in the yard, filling up the bird feeder, maybe spruce up the flower beds a bit and enjoy the first REAL spring day we have had in a LONG TIME!

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Sunday sounds lovely. I woke up and blogged for 2 hours, went out for a fast walk/run for 46 minutes, ate a delicious breakfast compliments of my hub, did math and spanish homework (Me gusta leer, tambien), took my children for a mega expensive shopping trip and now am back blogging but I will shut down and read soon. Sunday on your porch is a very good way to thank God for his blessings. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Today was a perfect day for nothing and just enjoying spring. I got to open all the windows and breathe in the fresh air while blogging, reading, and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am commenting today, so the question for me is rather what was I up to yesterday? Anyway, like the others, I also skipped church yesterday and worked hard at finishing my currently read. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.