Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Top Ten Book Covers I Wish I Could Redesign, or Don't Judge These Books by Their Covers, and the 2011 Indie Lit Awards

Top Ten Book Covers I Wish I Could Redesign

I could pull almost any book off my shelf and
shake my head when I see its cover design.
Lots of very sad book covers out there.

So here's a list of some of my favorite books with awful covers:

Civility by Stephen L. Carter
Not only a bad cover, but a boring title.
Who's gonna read this fantastic book
with a cover and a title like these?


Sandkings by George R. R. Martin
I really don't know why I picked up
this beautifully written science fiction novel
with a scary cover like this.
.
One Man's Meat by E. B. White
If you didn't recognize the author from Charlotte's Web
and know that he wrote brilliant essays (some of which
are in this book), you'd never choose this book.


 The World is Not Enough by Zoe Oldenbourg
Certainly doesn't look like the best historical fiction ever written,
does it?
No, it looks more like a history book about war.


Into That Good Night by Ron Rozelle
Such an amazing memoir that it was published
by Farrar, Straus, and Giroux,
but they certainly didn't spend much on the cover.


The Secret History by Donna Tartt
You'd never guess this is a fantastic and mysterious thriller from the cover.
Who wants to read a book with a statue on the cover?

Finally, the type of cover I hate most is...
Book Covers with the Author's Name Written Bigger than the Title!
(Does that bother anyone else,
or is it just me,
growing increasingly cranky with age?)

I'm going to stop here,
because I'm starting to rant a little
and that's never pretty.

So what did you choose?
What book covers do you wish you could redesign?


Before you move on,
let me share with you a wonderful blog event
that will be taking place at the end of this year,
This year in 2011, like last year,
I'll be serving on the panel to choose the best
I'm a little worried this year, as
they've pulled Memoir into a separate category.
So, please, please, start sending me
titles of deserving nonfiction (non-memoir only, please)
published in 2011
so that I can start reading!


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!



Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND sign Mister Linky at the bottom to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time..just post what you can!

14 comments:

  1. OMG, I have "author's name is bigger than the title" on my list, too! I thought it was just me. Great minds... have the same pet peeves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you make of Grisham's A Time to Kill. Absolutely true. It looks like John Grisham is the title of the book and A Time to Kill the author. ha ha ha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have taken interesting covers. Some of those do need to be redesigned! Some covers are So trashy! I have posted about that.

    Here is my Top Ten post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have taken interesting covers. Some of those do need to be redesigned! Some covers are So trashy! I have posted about that.

    Here is my Top Ten post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a terrible cover of A Time to Kill. Also, what in the world were they thinking with the E.B.White cover?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having a hard time with this list. Even though there are so many covers I'd change, I just can't seem to pick any, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover for Into That Good Night puts me to sleep! Looks like a book I would try starting a few times and put away. And I agree with the John Grisham book even though I do understand why a publisher would do that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Giant author names is a good one, which I hadn't thought of.

    Here is my list http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/04/top-ten-tuesday-stop-embarassing-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any of these so I can't really tell ... but if I were to pick a read by its cover, I definitely wouldn't be looking at One Man's Meat and The World is Not Enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since you're looking for non-fiction recommendations, I'll throw a few titles at you but I haven't read these yet:

    Ugly Beauty by Ruth Brandon

    Cinderella Ate my Daughter by Peggy Orenstein

    I is an Other by James Gray

    Reality is Broken by Jane McGonigal

    Nerds: How Dorks, Dweebs, Techies, and Trekkies
    Can Save America by David Anderegg

    Reading Women: How The Great Books of Feminism Changed My Life by Stephanie Staal

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I HATE it when author names are bigger than the title, too! STOPPIT PUBLISHERS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the suggestions for nonfiction, V!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only memoirs published in 2011 that I've read are Little Princes by Conor Grennan and The Pioneer Woman: From Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. I thought they were both great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sending a link to this old post was not good, was it? The Indie Lit Awards are a thing of the past. Wasn't sure if I should delete this part of the post or simply repost the part that still has relevance...oh, the evolving world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.