Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Top Ten Books I Want To Give As Gifts



Arguably: Essays
From Amazon:  "For over forty years, Christopher Hitchens has proclaimed truth where others have spun falsehood and written, with passionate commitment, on matters that others fear to broach. This volume of essays spans Hitchens' whole career and encompasses his writing on politics, literature and religion...."

Big Questions
From Amazon:  "A haunting postmodern fable, Big Questions is the magnum opus of Anders Nilsen, one of the brightest and most talented young cartoonists working today. This beautiful minimalist story, collected here for the first time, is the culmination of ten years and more than six hundred pages of work that details the metaphysical quandaries of the occupants of an endless plain, existing somewhere between a dream and a Russian steppe...."


Poetry on Record:
98 Poets Read Their Work
From Amazon:  "This collection, arranged chronologically by the poets' birth dates, regardless of continuity, style, or recording quality, and without narration, introduction, or internal identification of the poets or their titles, communicates in a kind of hodgepodge the range and fullness of modern poetry."


One on One
From Amazon:  "101 chance meetings, juxtaposing the famous and the infamous, the artistic and the philistine, the pompous and the comical, the snobbish and the vulgar, each 1,001 words long, and with a time span stretching from the 19th century to the 21st."




Thinking, Fast and Slow
From Amazon:  "Kahneman takes us on a groundbreaking tour of the mind and explains the two systems that drive the way we think. System 1 is fast, intuitive, and emotional; System 2 is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. Kahneman exposes the extraordinary capabilities—and also the faults and biases—of fast thinking, and reveals the pervasive influence of intuitive impressions on our thoughts and behavior...."


for the iPad



Guinness Book of World Records 2012



Blank Journal








Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by. The Cardturner really is a wonderful read. Arguably: Essays is one gigantic book! I love the idea of a blank book for a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking, Fast and Slow seems intriguing... I am wondering why you made these particular choices, considering the wealth of reading you do each year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love getting blank books / journals for gifts.

    That Poetry on Record book looks really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A blank journal is a great idea...especially when approaching a new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't actually read any of them yet, Laurie, but they all sound very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love getting blank journals, too. Always useful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah.. a journal. That actually used to be one of my favorite gifts to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sister totally picked up the Guinness book of world records for our dad, I think!

    A blank journal is a great idea!!

    Thanks for stopping by my Harry Potter Top 10!

    Michele | My (HP) Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who can resist the Guinness Book of World Records?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband gives me a blank journal/diary every year and it's always one of my favourite gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always have such unique suggestions. A blank journal is a great gift and Christopher Hutchins is on the New York Times Top Ten of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the idea of a blank journal!! (: Great list- thanks for stopping by! (:

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Guinness Book would be so cool to get as a gift! I've never had one before. That blank journal is really beautiful. That'd make a wonderful gift, too. Great choices.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was going to put The Guiness Book of World Records on my list - it seems to make such a good gift for practically anybody!

    Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't heard of any of these but I like the idea of blank journals and the Professional Chef book. Great list! Looks like something for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love receiving blank journals :) I have a collection, and at the start of the new year, I like to pick out a few each with a different use in mind.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.