Monday, September 24, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?!

                 
               


What I Finished and/or Reviewed Last Week

I got busy this week!
I finished a ton of books!
I reviewed a ton of books!
(Patting self on back)



Happiness Books:


The Cure for Everything:
Untangling Twisted Messages about Health,
Fitness, and Happiness
by Timothy Caulfield
We get a lot of health information these days. 
But what about the validity of that information? 
What should we do and not do to be healthy?  more





 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People:
What Scientists Have Learned and How You Can Use It
by David Niven
Happiness. It’s what people say they want more than anything else in life...more





The Ultimate Happiness Prescription
by Deepak Chopra
If you have read one Deepak Chopra book, 
you will be familiar with the ideas in this book, 
a book about finding happiness. He knows that we want to be...more





 Happier at Home:
Kiss More, Jump More, Abandon a Project,
Read Samuel Johnson, and My Other Experiments
in the Practice of Everyday Life
by Gretchen Rubin
 Your happiness starts at home. 
All the great philosophers tell us this. 
As does happiness guru Gretchen Rubin in her new book, Happier at Home...more



Children's Books:


Ten Tiny Toes
written by Tod Tarpley and
illustrated by Marc Brown
Who could resist Ten Tiny Toes?
 The cover alone, with an absolutely adorable baby nibbling on his toes, 
will sell you on this book. 

But there's more....more




Nighttime Ninja
written by Barbara DaCosta
and illustrated by Ed Young
It is nighttime. Everyone is asleep. Suddenly, a black figure appears. It is Nighttime Ninja. 
He is on a secret mission, creeping through the house...more





Being Frank
written by Donna W. Earnhardt
and illustrated by Andrea Castellani
Children are always told to tell the truth. 
But there are certain truths (how we look, how we act, what we are wearing)
 that aren't always necessary...more




The Monsters' Monster
by Patrick McDonnell
Who is the scariest monster of all? 
When you are a group of scary monsters, and you can't decide among yourselves, 
sometimes you have to build your own...more




Joseph's Yard
by Charles Keeping
Trying to read all 1001 Children's Books 
You Must Read Before You Grow Up can be a frustrating experience. 
It doesn't sound like a hard challenge...more




The Order of Odd-Fish
by James Kennedy
'"I thought the afterlife would be drier than this," said Jo.

"Or better lit," said Sefino.

"We're not dead!" insisted Aunt Lily.

No one spoke for a while...more




Watership Down
by Richard Adams
When I think of wonderful books that I've read only once and 
I thought I will probably never have time to read again, 
Watership Down comes to the top of my list....more



Nonfiction Books:


Skyjack:
The Hunt for D. B. Cooper
by Geoffrey Gray
Who was D. B. Cooper? 

Songs have been written about him. Stories told about him. 

But who was this man, this man who hijacked a plane and bailed out...more






What I'm Reading Now

Visit Sunny Chernobyl
and Other Adventures in the World's Most Polluted Places
by Andrew Blackwell




 
What I Might Read Next

I have no idea!

                                                                                                      





What are you reading today?!


It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from!

I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! As part of this weekly meme Book Journey loves to encourage you all to go and visit the others participating in this meme. Book Journey offers a weekly contest for those who visit 10 or more of the Monday Meme participants and leave a comment telling BJ how many you visited.

32 comments:

  1. So are you happier or less happy now that you've read the happy books? ;-) I'm always a little leery of self-help books. Also, you are giving me courage to try Watership one more time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the happiness theme you had going on :-) Hope you enjoy your books this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm now official out of happiness books. What to do now? Shall I become unhappy because I've read all my happiness books? ;->

      Delete
  3. I feel a little happier every time I read a book about happiness. ;-> Of course. More than fifty percent of our happiness is within our control. I keep a little graphic about the main ways to be happier hanging around my home and my workplace just to remind me.

    Yes, yes, I urge you to read Watership. It's a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh nice variety! Hope you have a good reading week!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I´ve been meaning to read Watership Down for a long time, I just never seem to get to it! Hopefully you don´t have difficulty finding what to read next, if you do, I can give some hints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I loved about WD is the setting, the English countryside. Very peaceful. Well, except for all the animals who are trying to kill the rabbits!

      Delete
  6. I do love the happiness theme...I have put Happier at Home on my list, since I really enjoyed The Happiness Project.

    Have a great week...and here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You did have an awesome week. I still haven't read Watership Down and likely won't. I am not a fan of talking animals and have to have some category of books that I won't read. ;-) My Monday report is here at Inside of a Dog. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it fascinating that you don't read books with talking animals! Interesting.

      Delete
  8. Ten Tiny Toes looks cute! I have a three year old granddaughter I love to read to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a fabulous book. The illustrator is the fellow who does the Arthur books.

      Delete
  9. Cute children's books! :) Happy reading!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    New follower of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll pat your back,too! Good job! I hope to get some more read this week also, if only real life would cooperate!! I need to get a lot done before the Here Be Dragons Read along! I hope you stop by and add in your thoughts as well! Thanks for visiting Monday's post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, you bring up a good question: Why doesn't real life cooperate?!

      Delete
  11. Nice job! You deserve that pat on the back. =)

    I could use a dose of your happiness books. And I saw some cute looking kids books too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The happiness books really do make me feel...well, happy!

      Delete
  12. I just finished a couple of books for review and not sure what to pick up next either. I have so many reviews I'm behind on, I feel like reading a book just for the fun of it, but will I be able to enjoy it without feeling guilty about the ARCs waiting for me?
    Couldn't tell what you thought about Happier at Home. Did you like it? The Goodreads page you link to seemed to have a lot of people complaining that she was only able to be happy because she has no concerns about money, but I didn't get the feeling that she was trying to pretend that her family was living on an average income. If she had rubbed readers' noses in her financial status, I don't think those critics would have liked it any better. That just doesn't seem fair to me. I'm sure Deepak Chopra's not hurting for money either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Gretchen Rubin would be happy even if she had an average income or was poor. She doesn't really need money for any of the things she suggests in her books. I liked this one and the first book a lot.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I was amazed that I got everything read and reviewed. I started writing reviews Sunday morning and finished in time for me to make it to church!

      Delete
  14. Wow, you got a lot done! :D Great selection, have another great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Cure for Everything sounds really interesting. I'm definitely going to have to check that book out.

    I have had The Order of Odd Fish in my classroom library for quite a while now but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It definitely looks like quite an odd book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a big book, but it is very, very clever and very, very funny.

      Delete
  16. How cute do those children's books look? :D Sounds like you had a great week. Good luck with picking your next read!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow you did have an awesome week of reading and reviewing. You'll be in a great frame of mind to choose your next reads after all those happiness books. Being Frank sounds like a good one for grandkids. Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.