Sunday, January 20, 2013

Hoarder...What Exactly Does That Word Mean?

On my nightstand

Stack of books on Italy

New books from the library

Stack of children's mysteries

Partial view of books under one bed

Books on another nightstand

Books read (Yippee!) but that need to be reviewed (Sigh)

Books hidden behind my rocking chair,
 saved for my Little Library

Books under another bed

And I haven't shared the stacks 
(1) I need to take back to the library, 
(2) books that are actually in my Little Library,
(3) books in my purse and
(4) books in the back of my car and....


Oh dear.


What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....

That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.




16 comments:

  1. Haha that's an excellent definition of a book hoarder! Though I've just finished filling my new bookcase, it still looks a lot like this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! My house looks very similar except I've removed all of the books from under my bed. Now they're just scattered everywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Better to be a hoarder of books than of something else! And you make my home seem a little more... tame? But there are books everywhere here, too, and if my beau wasn't using his nightstand, it would have books on it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try, try hard to pass books on, though lately I have not been very good about it. I give them to relatives, to friends, to the library. I find I feel good about being able to give them to others.
    I was not always this way, but when we moved -- oh what a bunch of books we had -- going back so many years.
    Many I had not looked at since I had closed their covers after reading. What a waste I thought.
    But I know how hard they are to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter has called me a "hoarder," because of my books and because of other things I collect.

    But I believe that collections, even if they're large, are a whole other animal than the hoarding that springs to mind (and is depicted on TV shows or books about hoarding).

    Do I sound defensive? lol

    Your books are all arranged and categorized...neatly. You're not a hoarder! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

    MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  6. ::giggle:: I've often thought about taking pictures of all of my bookshelves but then I think I'd be embarrassed. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I was so proud to clear off and give away three enormous bookshelves of books last summer. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. E-yikes. I thought I was bad. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You remind me of a squirrel with acrorns, hiding them everywhere ;)

    Love the titles, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yep raises my hand too. I admit I one too with books

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, my name is Gavin, and I'm a book addict..lovely pictures, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. See you acknowledge it, therefore you are not a hoarder. ;) Besides, if you are a hoarder than I have to admit to being one too. The space under my bed looks just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're nowhere near a hoarder so don't worry. I posted about this awhile back on Facebook because my ex-husband's parents called me a book hoarder and droves of bookish people came to my defense saying things like, "Are your books in bookshelves and not stacked in towering piles from floor to ceiling stacked all over the house?" and "Hoarders hide from the world. Do you hide your books from the world?" Of course, my answer to these were a definite no. I do have TONS of books (3000+ to be exact), but they are organized in bookshelves. Granted, the shelves are full to bursting, but they are organized. So, don't worry about it. This bookish person is coming to your defense. You are not a hoarder! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, mine are organized. Not-a-hoarder, not-a-hoarder, not-a-hoarder. So there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My house looks like that, too! But I always feel so good about returning books to the library when I've finally finished reading them, or selling them at Powell's, so I maintain that I am NOT a hoarder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha. Possibly your best post so far Deb. I initially thought you were doing some spine poetry.... Definitely not a hoarder. Not even close. Which is a relief because if you were a hoarder, then maybe I am too, and that can't be right. And you've got some fab looking reads there.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.