Monday, January 7, 2013

The Last "It's Monday! What Are You Reading?!" of 2013

                 


What I Finished Last Week

Last books of 2012. 

Six more 1001 Children's Books to cross off my list.
Talk about going out with a bang!
(Reviews coming soon)



183. How Children Succeed by Paul Tough
Why are we always so quick to reject the wisdom of older people as outdated? 
Don't we always come back around and take another look and find they were...more



184. A Hologram for the King by Dave Eggers
There is nothing that makes me happier than picking up a book, reading a couple of pages, 
and knowing in my heart that the book is going to be wonderful...more






185. Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats by T. S. Eliot
Unexpectedly simple. Quietly true. And it's all poems. By T. S. Eliot, no less. And all about cats.

186. The Duck in the Gun by Joy Cowley

A 1001 Children's Book You Must Read that really deserves that title. 
And yet it is not widely available any more and, more, it's out o...more

187. The Hodgeheg by Dick King-Smith

Very short little animal story. Courage. Bravery. In a hedgehog, no less.




188. The Seven Sisters by Margaret Drabble
Candida Wilton is stuck. Her husband has left her. She is estranged from her children. 
She has moved off to the wilds of London and all that is keeping...more




189. Exploring J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit by Corey Olsen





 190. The Magic Fishbone by Charles Dickens

191. A Child’s Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas


192. A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote





193. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien




What Arrived in the Mail


Always happy to have children's picture books come my way,
like these that arrived this week:
Fifty Cents and a Dream and Look! Another Book!





What I'm Reading Now




Good Prose by Tracy Kidder is awaiting me today.





What are you reading today?!



It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from!

I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! As part of this weekly meme Book Journey loves to encourage you all to go and visit the others participating in this meme. Book Journey offers a weekly contest for those who visit 10 or more of the Monday Meme participants and leave a comment telling BJ how many you visited.



16 comments:

  1. I love what you said about A Hologram for the King - "There is nothing that makes me happier than picking up a book, reading a couple of pages, and knowing in my heart that the book is going to be a wonderful" - I wish that were for every book we picked up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. Why not put technology to good use? Only send us the books that ring our internal bells! Ah, someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed A Hologram for the King! Quite a different book compared to Egger's other books. Maybe try Salmon Fishing in the Yemen too (by Paul Torday).

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh nice! These are all new to me. I hope you enjoyed and enjoy all your reads for this week! Happy Reading!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Hologram for the King was a suggested book when I logged into my Nook yesterday. I'll take your advise and get it. Thanks, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy Margaret Drabble, although sometimes I get her titles mixed up with those of the other Margarets, like Atwood...lol

    But I read and loved Seven Sisters a long time ago. It's been so long that I should reread it. If only I had the time. I like the cover on yours.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Seven Sister sounds really good! Have a good reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all new titles to me. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hodgeheg book looks to cute. I always love to browse the children books. Am glad I got a nephew now who I can buy books for.

    Thanks for dropping my on my Monday weekly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hologram for a King is on my TBR list for 2013.
    Thanks for dropping by and visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw that you had Good Prose on your reading list, so I've already put it on hold at the library. Fifty Cents and a Dream is waiting for me too.I'm going to add The Seven Sisters to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to love the Hodgeheg! Dick King Smith was one of my early favs :)
    I'm currently reading the Hobbit before I see the film!
    Have a Lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope to see the Hobbit this week but I must read the book. I'm not familiar with the other books on your list but they look interesting.
    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like what you said about The Hologram book. It is going on my tbr list. All your books have good covers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a good ending to the year yo had in reading! My December was awful for reading... thank goodness the New Year has proved to be different ;)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.