Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Top Ten Settings I'd Like To See More Of





from paris with love
















1. Paris. 
I'm a sucker for anything-Paris.
You don't really have to write much 
of a story if you will just set it in Paris.






Peaceful Japanese garden

2. Japan.
Peaceful Japan.
I feel peaceful just thinking about Japan.





Morocco

3. Morocco.
Magical. Mysterious.





"You can't avoid danger. It's there. The world is a dangerous place, and if you sit around wringing your hands about it, you'll miss out on all the adventure. - Jeanette Walls. Photo by freewheels74.

4. Dangerous places.
I'm too afraid to actually go to
places that are very, very cold
or places that have lots of scary insects and reptiles,
but take me there in a story.




Island in Lhaviyani Atoll















5. Islands.
I'd live on an island, if I could,
but my husband doesn't swim,
so islands.





italy 

6. Italy.
Could I get a little pasta and a nice glass of wine with that, please?




7. Coffee shops and bookstores.
Better yet, a coffee shop/bookstore.




Tile Sign in La Latina, Madrid 

8. Spain.
Or Central America. Or South America. Or Mexico.
Or anywhere people speak Spanish.
I speak Spanish, so I love seeing lots of Spanish words
in a story.



Bakery 

9. Bakeries.
Bread. 
Love bread.



Background ~ Venusian Sunset 

10. Out in space.
Or back in time. Or in the future.
I like to travel in space and in time now and then,
but could you leave off the vampires? 




What did I miss? Where do you like to go in your stories?
Share your ideas with me.





Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


All photos are Creative Commons photos posted at Flickr. Paris: Photo by agaw.dilim. Japan: Photo by PermanentTraveller. Morocco: Photo by andy castro. Dangerous places: Photo by On Being. Islands: Photo by Edgar Barany. Italy: Photo by kygp. Coffee shops and bookstores: Photo by Orbiter7. Spain: Photo by DavidDennisPhotos.com. 

23 comments:

  1. Paris and book shops made it on to my list too.
    Bakeries would be good too!
    Combine all three and I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books set in Paris- maybe one day I will get there, but for now I will read and dream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I travel along with you too ?. I love the island and Paris to visit too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you added coffee shops, bakeries & bookstores to your list - I didn't even think of those! I loved reading Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, so I'm surprised it didn't come to mind...

    My Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great list! I also put Islands on my list.

    Have you read Memoirs of a Geisha?
    The Futurlogical Congress? (No vamps, promise)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about a bookstore/coffeeshop/bakery in Paris?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list...LOVE the idea of a coffeeshop/bookstore (2 of my favorite things, lol).

    I also like it when books have words in a language I know, or even better, I don't know the words but I learn them because of the book. Yo comprendo espanol un poco pero yo no soy bueno hablar. ;)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Bree :)
    Coffee Bean Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I totally want to read more books set in those countries you listed!!! (Japan, Morocco, Spain, France).

    I put Paris on my list, too! Although, I specifically want Paris during the French Revolution (I love my historical fiction).

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    New Follower: Books are Bread

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought about Morocco! What books have you read that featured it as a setting?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool settings! Space and Japan were on mine, but Islands would be pretty sick too! The picture makes me want to go on vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read a few travel narratives where the characters ventured into or through Morocco (most recently Sahara). I wish I could find more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Japan, bakeries, book shops, islands! You're list is amazing! All of them are so great and I completely agree! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the dangerous places. Living vicariously, but in safety!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the dangerous places. Living vicariously, but in safety!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Italy...and a bakery! Great choices!

    Check out my TTT.

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Italy and Spain, there are truly beautiful places. My fav or your list though, is the bakery. Genius!!! Food + plus food in books :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Italy, coffee shops, book stores...oh how I love yourr list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Books set in Italy are always intriguing to me.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great settings. I love the pics that you chose. Italy would be a wonderful and not too used setting. Although bakeries have been used in my cozy mystery series pretty often, they are among some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This list makes me want to go travel. Now. I would love to read more books set in these places!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.