Sunday, January 8, 2017

Starting Out 2017 With a Bang! (And I Don't Mean Fireworks)



I finished ten books on January 1, 2017.

Huh? I can hear you say. Are you pulling my leg? Exaggerating? Lying?

Nope. I honestly and truly finished ten books on January 1st. I do it every year. 

So what is my secret? 

I finish off my list for 2016 just before the Christmas break from school. Then I read like crazy for the week or so before the first of the new year. I read like crazy, but I don't quite finish the books I'm reading; I leave the last chapter or the last few pages for the first day of the year. 

Result: I start each year confident. Excited to work on my yearly reading challenge. With a bang. (And I don't mean fireworks.)

I guess it's a bit of a cheat of a sort but it works for me. It's fun to tell people when I am asked that I've already read ten books by day one of the new year. Lots of Oooos and Aaaaahs and the "You are an amazing reader!" sort of comments. Well, yes, I am.

Here's what I have finished last week:


covertitleauthorreview
But What If We're Wrong? Thinking About the Present As If It Were the Past
This is a wonderfully refreshing idea for a book: how will the present look from the future? What will we think about the way we looked at sports and ...more 
From Cover to Cover: Evaluating and Reviewing Children's Books
Evaluating and reviewing children's books is something I do a lot. I could benefit from reading this book, I thought. I was disappointed to find that ...more 
The Monks and Me: How 40 Days in Thich Nhat Hanh's French Monastery Guided Me Home
Mary Paterson spends forty days at Thich Nhat Hanh's monastery in France and returns home to Canada calm and peaceful. This book is a collection of re ...more 
I'll Give You the Sun
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance Wow. Wow. Wow.

(That doesn't tell you much, does it? Let's see if I can tell you a little bit of what this story is about....)

T
 ...more 
The Almost Nearly Perfect People: Behind the Myth of the Scandinavian Utopia
The question of everyone's mind these days seems to be: What's so great about Scandinavia? Michael Booth, an Englishman living in Denmark, decides to ...more 
Atlas Obscura: An Explorer's Guide to the World's Hidden Wonders
Carhenge, a replica of Stonehenge, using junk cars. The Museum of Bad Art, where nine of every ten submissions are rejected for being too good. Ozyman ...more 
Hating Alison Ashley
I didn't know a thing about this book except (1) it is a 1001 Children's Book and (2) one of the main character has the same name as I originally had ...more 
The Battle for Room 314: My Year of Hope and Despair in a New York City High School
Let me start by telling you the ending....

*****SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!*****

...he quits.

Yes, he gives it a year, one year, and he
 ...more 
More Letters of Note: Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience
It's a book of letters and, if that sounds boring, you obviously haven't read this book. These are brilliant missives, some funny, some sad, some zany ...more 
The Diary of a Country Priest
If I was more clever, I'd rate this a five and if I went by what a struggle it was to get through it, I'd rate it a three, so I suppose this is a spot ...more 

I'll be at my dad's 90th birthday party most of today. My dad is just like a five year old before Christmas!



What are you reading today?


What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.


28 comments:

  1. Wow! I love your idea. I just might have to do that next year. I loved I'll Give You the Sun -- we discussed it in our YA book group (for adults) and there was lots to talk about. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your Dad! And as far as books go, I think it's fun that you save those last chapters! It's kind of like enjoying the books all over again.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, aren't you the clever one! I LOVE this confidence booster and may participate myself next year.

    I did manage to complete one book this first week of the year, To Capture What We Cannot Keep. I enjoyed starting 2017 in Paris :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look for that one. I'd love to head over to Paris for a bit this year.

      Delete
  4. Whatever works, lol! I saw your review for The Battle for Room 314 on goodreads and added it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very happy 90th to your dad. How wonderful for him and your family that you get to celebrate together.
    I kind of dig the way that you work finishing ten books to kick off the new year. I used to wonder how readers could read more than two books, but it is something that I fall in the habit of doing from time to time, and at the moment am juggling more than I really should, but some of it is due to read-alongs that I didn't want to pass up. There are a couple that are just close alike that I get confused and have to remind myself. I have read three books this week and reviewed two. I am hoping to finish up a couple of the ones that I am reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fun! I'm not sure I'd have the discipline -- having stayed up until two hours past my bedtime last night to finish the novel I was reading.

    Wishing your dad a very happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever idea! I'd love to see the faces when you tell them you've already finished 10 books. LOL

    Happy Birthday to your Dad! 90 is a wonderful age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First and foremost, happy 90th birthday to your father...

    ...and then 10 books!!!?!!! You rock!!! As always, and it looks like quite a few good ones there too. Me? I've finished one, but I'm okay with that. There's still a lot of year left :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 90th to your dad!

    Enjoy the upcoming week, and hopefully you'll finish TEN again! LOL.

    I like the look of The Battle for Room 314.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday to your dad! I love how you start the year! It's got to be very satisfying finishing up book after book. You've finished quite an interesting list. I'm super curious about The Almost Nearly Perfect People. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! 10 books already! I'm still trying to get through some books, but I actually got a plan for this year that might help me out with reading!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a terrific idea, although I'm one of those who would probably have trouble NOT finishing if I were enjoying the book.

    I hope your dad has a terrific day. My dad's 80th was all sorts of fun. My sister put letter candles on his cake to spell out "YOU'RE OLD." He would have been 85 this year, so our parents are contemporaries. Enjoy the time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sneaky idea there Deb! And I haven't managed to finish one book this year....

    Happy Birthday to your Dad- those are great genes to inherit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and my dad is just so darn healthy. Someone should study him.

      Delete
  14. you are so funny!!
    I picked up Atlas Obscura at the library - gorgeous and fascinating.
    Bernanos is also fascinating, I should read it again one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to find Atlas Obscura at the library.

      Delete
  15. Ha! I love the idea of leaving a bit of a book to finish, though I'm very monogamous when it comes to reading so don't think I could read more than one book at once.

    I get that it helps you start the year off confidently though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. EEK! I'm so glad you read and enjoyed "I'll Give You the Sun". I can't wait to read your review on it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute idea! I would probably lose track of ten different books, though! My limit is three books and two audiobooks all on the go at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice to know your Dad enjoys birthdays still and it is a huge celebration. Tricky way to end and start the year!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea to start the year with a bang but I'd have trouble stopping with only a chapter or a couple of pages to go. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha - I love that idea of yours seeing in the new year with many books! I hope your dad had a lovely birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday to your dad! I really like your idea of leaving the last few chapters for the first day of the year. I can definitely see how it helps boost your confidence. I've only read I'll Give You Sun and I absolutely loved it.

    I hope you have a wonderful week!

    Tina @ As Told By Tina

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting idea to leave the last few pages for the new year. :)

    I like it, but there is no way I would be able to finish that many books even if I didn't read the last few pages. :) I am too slow of a reader. :) CONGRATS!!

    Wonderful on your dad's birthday...Happy 90th to him.

    Diary of a Country Priest is catching my eye.

    I hope your week is good.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.