Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Fiction Picture Books That Knocked My Socks Off

I’ve been a Cybils Award judge for the last ten years. I can’t remember a year when so many wonderful fiction picture books hit the shelves as they did last year. As a panel, we had to agree on our favorite seven (take a look at my blog post here), but there were many others I loved that didn't quite make the cut. Of course, you could always buy these (and thus help lift their authors a nudge up from the poverty-level existences many of them have) but these are widely available at your public library, too.



A Well-Mannered Young Wolf

Before a young wolf can eat his prey, he must honor the prey's last wishes. The prey are not quite as well-mannered.  


The Bear Who Wasn’t There and the Fabulous Forest

 One day The Bear Who Wasn’t There forgets something quite important---himself---and sets off on a journey to find himself. 


A Most Mysterious Mouse 

A cat spends all his days imagining mice, yet there is one he cannot imagine.


We Found a Hat 

Jon Klassen is back with his final story in his hat trilogy, this one taking on relationships.


Cry, Heart, But Never Break 

This cover will tell you all you need to know.


The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles

A lonely man perpetually uncorks ocean bottles.


The Day I Became a Bird

A boy falls in love. But she is only cares about birds. How can he interest her?


My Baby Crocodile 

A crocodile happens upon a helmeted knight and mistakes him for an abandoned baby croc.


The Quickest Kid in Clarksville 

 Alma’s the quickest kid in Clarksville, just like her hero, Wilma Rudolph, once was. It doesn’t matter that Alma has holes in her shoes; so did Wilma. But what will happen when the new girl with shiny new shoes takes Alma on?


The Water Princess 

 A young girl dreams of finding a way to get clean water to her village.            

12 comments:

  1. How delicious - I love picture books! These covers are pleasingly restrained and I especially want to read about the wolf and the uncorker of bottles.
    Miss Cellany.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon Klassen is a favorite in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of A Well-Mannered Young Wolf - I'll have to look for it! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love picture books but I'm sad to say I haven't read any of these! Perhaps I should remedy that now that I have a new nephew :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so miss the stage of reading aloud picture books, what a nice list. My TTT link

    ReplyDelete
  6. Picture books can be so magical. My personal favorite is Where the Wild Things Are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not do a list today for myself, I asked my daughter if she wanted to help and list her favorite books!
    I never read a comic book.So The only ones I read were the VA and Percy Jackson graphic novels. But we did something a little different. Allyson added some comics she read on her list.
    Also check out our easy to enter Valentine's giveaway!



    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These all look nice. Hard to pick because they're probably all sweet but if I had to I'd want to check out The Mosy Mysterious Mouse and A Well Mannered Wolf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, all new book titles for me to go investigate!! Yippee!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/01/top-ten-tuesday-top-eleven-coffee-table.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Remember I want to switch jobs with you some day so I have an excuse to read all these cute looking books. I love the cover of the turtles looking at a hat.

    My TTT Graphic Novels

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your selection! I definitely need to check out some of these, The Water Princess in particular. I just wish I had children so I could justify having all these children's books on my shelves haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh these look lovely! What an interesting mix. I love the idea of A Well Mannered Young Wolf! I think that would go over well here.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.