Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Children's Books That Celebrate Diversity I Hope You Won't Miss



In honor of Multicultural Children's Book Day this Friday, January 27, 2017, I list some of my favorite children's books that celebrate American diversity. #ReadYourWorld


My Name is Yoon 


The Moved-Outers


Last Stop on Market Street


Home of the Brave


Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry


Any Small Goodness: A Novel of the Barrio


One-Handed Catch


The Other Side


The Thing About Georgie


Mango, Abuela, and Me


Thunder Boy Jr.


Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match/
Marisol McDonald no combina


Sixteen Years in Sixteen Seconds: The Sammy Lee Story


Wonder




Multicultural Children's Book Day site: http://multiculturalchildrensbookday.com/

Free Multicultural Books for Teachers: http://bit.ly/1kGZrta
Free Diversity Book Lists and Activities for Teachers and Parents: http://bit.ly/1sZ5s8i

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

19 comments:

  1. Great post! Diversity is so important, and especially in children's books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic! I've only heard of one book on your list, so I definitely have some research to do. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Thank you for these. I needed some book recommendations for my nephew & what makes these even better are that they are diverse. I'll be adding all of these to my nephew's TBR. Thank you again for this post, it is wonderful & I'm so glad you shared it.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved, loved, loved Wonder! Great collection of books, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list as ever Mrs Nance. I was getting worried scrolling down, but thankfully I've managed to read two of them- Wonder and Roll of Thunder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list! I see a few that might work soon for my 1 year old granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read five of these and have seven in my classroom library, so I'm feeling pretty proud over here. Lovely list; thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Home of the Brave is so powerful, and it made me cry so much, all along! Would you recommend other books by the same author?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, this is the first book of that author I have read.

      Delete
  9. Yay for this list! It's so important to include diversity in children's books, because they can teach them a lot about acceptance. Wonder is one of the most well-written and gorgeous books I've ever read - every single person should read it, tbh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great list! I love diversity in children's books and am always looking for more. I see several that would appeal to my 7 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading more diversely is on my TTT list for this week and your recommendations and links will come in handy, thank you. My TTT link

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry has always been one of my favorites. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love books about diversity!! Good choice for a topic this week.


    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/01/top-ten-tuesday-freebie-top-ten.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome list! I've read the Other Side and I loved that book! I hope I can check out the other books!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some days when I read your lists I wish I was an Elementary Librarian. The story books are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the stories can have a profound influence on young lives.

      Delete
  16. Great topic and post! I'm so glad that diversity is being discussed and actively read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deb, great topic and list! I have read one book (Wonder), have wanted to read another for a while now(Roll of Thunder) and recently read about another(Last Stop on Market Street).. will add these to my list

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.