Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My Favorite Scary Books for Young Kids


Here are some of my favorite scary books
for young kids:





In a Dark, Dark Room


Go Away, Big Green Monster!


The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything


La Llorona

Little Red Riding Hood


Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg


Haunted House


Hansel and Gretel


I Need My Monster!


The Viper (My favorite!)


Do you have recommendations?


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

12 comments:

  1. These are so cute despite their scariness, though I would imagine La Llorona would be a bit freaky for me. Knowing the story behind it definitely ups it's creep factor, but I'm curious to see what they would do for a children's book. Great selection, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover of La Llorna looks terrifying! I love this version of Little Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman. It's my favorite because the pictures are so beautiful and Hyman doesn't talk down to young readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED In a Dark, Dark Room when I was a child! Thanks for reminding me of that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These books are adorable! My favorite was "I need a Monster". Great story and illustrations. *Sigh* I wish I was a kid again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize Jumanji was a book. That's really cool. I'm going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a MAJOR love for Little Red Riding Hood -- it used to be one of my favourite fairy tales ever! It could definitely count as a Halloween book! :) There are so many cool remakes of it too!

    Awesome Top Ten, Deb! Thank you so much for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember reading in a dark dark room as a kid! Super creepy! Great list of picture books.

    http://deadtreesandsilverscreens.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Jumanji! My kids were so afraid of that movie we could never watch it to resolution. Love your list.

    Anne
    My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son had some really good ones when he was little...but I can't come up with many of the titles. He did love the I Spy: Haunted House book. There were also some Clifford the Big Red Dog books for Halloween that were pretty cute. When I was little I loved Ghosts Who Went to School by Judith Spearing.

    Here's my Top Ten: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/10/hosted-by-broke-and-bookish-top-ten.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I haven't read any of those books. I've seen the film of Jumanji though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One read every year -- It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the cover on I Need my Monster.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.