Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Top Ten Books That Broke Your Heart A Little


Top Ten Books that
Broke My Heart a Little

Happenstance by Carol Shields

Six-Word Memoirs on Love & Heartbreak


Love, Loss, and What I Wore


The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson

Mrs. Bridge by Evan S. Connell

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

The Gold Bug Variations by Richard Powers

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson


Tadpole's Promise by Jeanne Willis


Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler
with illustrations by Maira Kalman


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

16 comments:

  1. Ohhh, so many wonderful books. Added several to my TBR list. Thanks for sharing. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read two of those, Miss Pettigrew and Of Mice and Men. I found the latter terribly sad, but somehow I found the former to be quite upbeat, although tinged with sadness and regret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only book I've read on your list is The Lover's Dictionary - but I've got my eye on Why We Broke Up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely forgot about Of Mice and Men! Such a sad ending! I've heard lots of good things about Why We Broke Up and The Lover's Dictionary, I really must read these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just added Six Word Memoirs to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lover's Dictionary has a made a few lists. Why We Broke Up looks like it was made for this list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Normally it's not books, but a specific poem that does it, a particular image or combination of words will stop my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Valentine's Day... and, thanks for the heads-up from someone who does not like to cry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only read Of Mice and Men from these, but that is the only school-assigned book that has made me cry! Such a tragic ending..:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! You remember the best books for your lists. I'm reading Happenstance right now. Taking a book break between the wife's and husband's tales. Lover's Dictionary, Of Mice and Men, Miss Pettigrew - great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many older titles that made me sad... I completely agree with Of Mice and Men. But for The Good Earth, it was sad to see everything the main character had worked for crumble, but I believed his sons got exactly what they deserved. But I do love your list.

    Thanks for visiting my Top Ten.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by! I see you added Of Mice and Men. :) I keep seeing The Lover's Dictionary pop up today. I think I'm going to have to add that book to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of Mice and Men is sloop heart-breaking. I can't believe I didn't think to put it on my list. The Lover's Dictionary was wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I agree. It can be a single passage or even a paragraph that can be heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was the wife in Good Earth that made me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love MISS PETTIGREW! Such a wonderful book! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.