Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Top Ten Books To Read In A Day


I don't know what it says about me,
but I love short books.

Here are ten of my favorite books you could read in a day*:

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
107 pages


A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
144 pages

A Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers
163 pages

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
178 pages


Lying Awake by Mark Salzman
181 pages


Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie
184 pages

That Night by Alice McDermott
192 pages

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
192 pages

Into That Good Night by Ron Rozelle
192 pages


A Year in Japan by Kate T. Williamson
192 pages


If you like short books, a great reference is
100 One-Night Reads: A Book Lover's Guide.
 
*For this list, I am excluding the many
wonderful 32-page children's picture books I love.

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

23 comments:

  1. I love short reads too, but don't always finish them in a day. This is a great list of options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't always finish them in a day either. But it is nice to know that you can. Versus say, Les Miserables, with 3,000 pages....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm impressed by your list! I'm starting to gravitate toward short books a lot more these days...right now I'm in the middle of a 600-page one, and while it's pretty good, I kind of can't wait for it to end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like short books, too. You have a great selection here. I didn't even realize that The Great Gatsby was so short....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's, I really need to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of Mice and Men is such a powerful read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list. Some stuff I haven't read here. Might I add The Wizard of Oz?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if I could read Gatsby in a day. It's short, but it makes me think (oh no!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed Of Mice and Men. I think that's the only book I've read in this list. It's nice to see what shorter novels are out there that I should plan on reading. Great list!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Ryan, I'd be happy to add Wizard of Oz. (I left children's books off my list this time.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Great Gatsby. They're both very good reads! And I haven't read a few of the others, but they are several that are on my list. I LOVE a list that includes some good "classic" reads. Thanks for stopping by my list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must admit that I have never read any of these books. I have heard of a lot of them but I haven't had the chance to read them. I will have to take a glance at them. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. Sharing some of the love back. =D

    Cassie @ The Anfractuous Bookaholic

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful list! Several of my favorites and a few I should really read. I must set aside a day (or two).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic list! Of Mice and Men and The Great Gatsby made it onto mine too. Here's my Top Ten. Would love for you to stop by. New follower via GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been kind of craving The Great Gatsby lately. I should probably give in a reread it, although I'm also thinking I might be able to satisfy it by reading something else by Fitzgerald that I haven't read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read Great Gatsby in high school and was only lukewarm on it, but I keep meaning to re-read it because I'm sure I would appreciate it much more now. And I'll admit, the movie coming out makes me need to read it first since I wouldn't dream of seeing it before haha.

    And I definitely agree on Of Mice and Men, that's a great read.

    Thanks for stopping by my list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Of Mice and Men and Streetcar are wonderful books to read in just a day! As is Breakfast at Tiffany's. I'm not a Gatsby fan, at least when I first read it, but I may have to try it again!

    Lovely list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I definitely agree with Mice & Men! I haven't read The Great Gatsby and so I can't remember if I read it in a day or not. I need to read Breakfast at Tiffany's!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great choices! There are several on here I hadn't previously heard of, and others I didn't realize were so short. Definitely have to add a few to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  20. And, just for fun, let's add Buddha in the Attic and A Room With a View....

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.