Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Top Ten Books That Would Make Great Movies (Though Most of These Would Be Near-Impossible to Make into Movies)


Some books are so brilliant I fear 
they could never be made into good movies.

Here are some I wish could be made into movies:


The Secret History by Donna Tartt
has it all: mystery and murder.

The Gold Bug Variations is
music, math, and intelligence.
A tough book to make into a movie.


Have any Haruki Murakami books
been made into movies?
This one or 1Q84 would be expecially tricky.

Half of a Yellow Sun is another big book
that would be difficult to make into a 
conventional movie.

I can see Major Pettigrew's Last Stand 
as a movie. Why hasn't it been undertaken?

Olive Kitteridge
With so many wonderful older actresses out there,
why not try to make a movie from Olive Kitteridge?
Meryl Streep, perhaps?


I'm amazed that no one has made Megan McCafferty's
Sloppy Firsts into a movie.

What could Hollywood do with 
The Lover's Dictionary?


And who wouldn't love to see a movie
made from one of M.F.K. Fisher's books like
An Alphabet for Gourmets?

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

23 comments:

  1. wow I didn't know these books, sound great!
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh me, oh my! I completely left off my top choice for a movie to be made from a book: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got The Secret History from the library--can't wait to dive in! From what I've heard, it would definitely make an engrossing movie.

    And I'm shocked that Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance isn't a movie already. Seems like a natural choice for the screen.

    Great list. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these and now I'm very curious about them. I'll have to check some of the out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great list . I haven't heard of them at all. But they sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard Sloppy Firsts will be a movie and they'll combine the first two books. But I am amazed it took so long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I'd love to see the Lover's Dictionary on screen! :)

    Thanks for stopping by earlier!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel ashamed, I know none of these titles on your list :o

    ReplyDelete
  9. Half of a Yellow Sun is also on my list. Although I've been planning for quite a while, I still haven't read any Murakami books yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard so many good things about Olive Kitteridge, I am going to have to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replay by Ken Grimwood. I don't need nine more. That's the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Olive Kitteridge would be very classy. If you haven't picked up anything from River of Time series by Lisa T Bergren, check it out. Adventure/romance in medieval Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! Sloppy Firsts! I loved that book, I still have it on my bookshelf somewhere, maybe I should check it out again. I was thinking Haruki Murakami too, but some of his stuff is so surreal and wacky that I don't know if people would leave the theater "getting it", you know? How is Wind Up Bird Chronicle by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only ones I've read in your list are Sloppy Firsts and The Lover's Dictionary. I'd love to see those turned into movies! I'll have to check out your other books! Great list, and thanks so much for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Major Pettigrew is being made into a movie:
    http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/major-pettigrews-last-stand-in-film-deal/

    Also, Norwegian Wood (Murakami) was adapted into film and shortly released in the US. I haven't seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Secret History would be a good one. I thought about The Wind Up Bird Chronicle..but I think the violent bits (one scene in particular) would be too much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read any of the books on your list, although I do have a couple waiting to be read that I'm now more intrigued by since you'd like to see them as movies.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read most of the books on your list, but I agree that the Jessica Darling books would make excellent movies! Some bloggers should get together and make a recommendation to Hollywood, since I've seen this suggestion on a few blogs this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love to see The Lover's Dictionary as a movie! Hmm. . . Now to think of which actors to play the couple. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your list gave me ten books to add to my TBR pile! I have wanted to read 1Q84 for a long time; I will get to it now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh Major Pettigrew yes! I would love to see a movie of that. I think my #1 thing I'd like to see adapted is Alias Grace, by Margaret Atwood. Spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved The Secret History way back when. I can't believe that there's a book called Sloppy Firsts. It must have such a different meaning in America, it is too close by far to sloppy seconds which is rather graphic in it's meaning and not at all what they want conveyed I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me! Just looked up this phrase, Louise, and all I can say is, "Oh me!" Does this phrase evoke this same meaning in this story? Probably as the story is concerns teens and as I tend to let little things like this slip right past me while I eagerly promote this book which I read oh-so-long-ago to equally clueless grownups.

      (A story, which also defines me: Many, many years ago, I visited a friend in Corpus Christi, Texas, and as a souvenir, I insisted on buying and wearing home a t-shirt that boldly proclaimed, "Life is a beach." I took this image at face value, as in life is a beautiful beach, and had to have someone actually spell out the reference to a female dog before I sighed and turned red and gave away the t-shirt.)

      Delete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.