Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Top Ten Children's Books Written In The Past 10 Years That I Hope People Are Still Reading In 30 Years

This week at Top Ten Tuesday,
it's Top Ten Books Written in the Past Ten Years
That I Hope Will Be Remembered in Thirty Years.

So I tweaked mine to Top Ten Children's Books
Written in the Past Ten Years,
using only books listed in the book,
1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up.

Here are my picks:

The Arrival by Shaun Tan

The Tale of Desperaux by Kate Dicamillo
Wolves by Emily Gravett

I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner

Flotsam by David Wiesner

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

The Boy Who Grew Flowers by Jen Wojitowicz

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

What do you think?
Any books you'd add to this list?

What did you choose for your Top Ten list today?

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

28 comments:

  1. Love Pigeon-Mo Willems is a favorite of mine. I heard an interview he did on NPR where he said that he didn't actually plan to write a book about Pigeon, but he kept "showing up" in the margins of other books he was trying to write saying that he would make a better book. Authors are so quirky and interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great story. Thank you for sharing it with me. I'll share it with the kids at school next year.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful books! Here in Norway we are very fond of the Swedish writer Astrid Lindgren and her stories about Pippi Longstockings amongst others. I believe some of her books would be on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read some of these with my future grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a middle school library, but the only one on the list that goes out at all is Inkheart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say that most of my books are for a younger audience, while a few are for an older audience.

      Delete
  5. I've heard of Inkheart. You obviously enjoyed it enough to put it on your list! I think I'll add it to my queue. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inkheart is a great book for anyone who loves stories.

      Delete
  6. Yay, I'm glad you picked some picturebooks. Is it crazy that I didn't even think of doing that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Arrival! I haven't thought about that book in ages, but I absolutely love the artwork! And the Tale of Despereaux too! Childhood classic. Thanks for sharing!

    Here’s my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Inkheart years ago and remember loving it, though I don't remember much about the plot. I think I have to go and grab another copy to refresh my memory!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Tale of Despereaux, how I love thee! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, The Tale of Despereaux is a classic. So good. And I really liked Inkheart, too. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The boy in the striped pyjamas is so touching, and sad. I cried when I read it, and I cried when I watched it. Nice blog btw. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have so many great ones on your list! And quite a few that I (sadly) have not read yet. I will have to go check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually haven't read any of these, but I have seen the inkheart movie. I need to read that series. Great choices.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Flotsam! . . . Thanks for stopping by Jorie's Reads :) .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list! I'm sure all of these will still be popular thirty years from now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Inkheart is such a good book! I still haven't read the last book in the trilogy - I should really do that. :) Good list! And thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your list!!! and we are a family of readers and ALWAYS looking for recommendations..thanks for some new summer reads!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love The Arrival and I am Messenger. I think I need to re-read both soon. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved The Arrival and Skippyjon Jones! My kids and I really like the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie book (and others like it) too, as well as the "Bad Kitty" books.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've only read "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" but I have heard of a couple other books you mention.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Inkheart, The Tale of Despereaux, I am the Messenger, and Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! They're all such great books. (:

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've seen the Inkheart movie (well bits of it multiple times when the boy has been watching it- I don't think I've ever sat down and watched it myself), but not read the book. I've read a few of DiCamillo's book but haven't got to Desperaux yet. So many books, as always.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.